1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Couple radiator questions

Posted by bcjjones, Sep 16, 2013

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Southbay Fuel Injectors
  1. bcjjones

bcjjones Proven Member

Joined Nov 3, 2011
    Austin, Texas
    Going to run a half honda radiator for clearance reasons. I bought one from a guy here locally for 30 bucks just to see how well it cools and fits.

It is a 2" thick two row radiator. Now I'm looking at getting a new one and I see a 3 row 2" option available. My first question is, if the 3 row is 2" thick also would it cool any better then the 2" 2 row? I mean the way I think about it is, there both 2" thick so how could the 3 row cool any better?The rows have to just be smaller then the one on the two row right?

Another question I have is mostly oyy of curiousity. I tried running a scirrico radiator so I switched to a 1g radiator neck because it has the cap on it. Now I have two radiator caps. One on the radiator and one on the filler neck. Untill I get to work tomorrow, I just have the overflow hose connected the each nipple from one to thr other. Eliminating the overflow tank and just running one to the other. What negative affects does this have?

ThaThank yall for any help!

2. oittehgaps

oittehgaps Proven Member

Joined Mar 21, 2006
    Farmington, New Hampshire
    The 3 row will have better heat transfer.

If you loop one overflow to the other your cooling system has nowhere to relieve pressure (besides blowing the hose off at some point and making a mess.)

The best way I found to do it was to eliminate the lower radiator cap and closing it off completely.

But you can get away with teeing both radiator caps into the same overflow. Bleeding the cooling system can suck and you need to make sure you have the same pressure ratings on the cap.

Drag Race Build 220  8

1987 Isuzu P'up
    8.001 @ 165.88 · 4G63t Swapped
  3. madmstr

madmstr Probationary Member

Joined Jul 8, 2007
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    Do you think the half radiator for a daily driven beast? Or we talking track only?

4. tkrPerformance

tkrPerformance Proven Member

Joined Dec 2, 2002
    plymouth, Minnesota
    I have ran both before. I like the scirrico set up better more room in the bay. For the Honda rad I used a 3 cor 2.5 in thick one for 2 years d.d. On the Evo 3 with out any problems.

As for 2 caps. Get your self a galant upper water neck or one off a Hyundai same thing with out the cap. And use the one on the rad. It is what I am doing with my new set up in the Spyder.
    null_zpsf1db2518.jpg

3K  0

1995/Mitsubishi/evolution 3
    manual · Lancer Evolution

Street Build 2K  0

manual · 2G DSM
  5. oittehgaps

oittehgaps Proven Member

Joined Mar 21, 2006
    Farmington, New Hampshire
    The problem with removing the upper cap in the T-stat housing is that that is the highest point in the cooling system. Which will making it hard to get all of the air out when bleeding the cooling system.

You can get away with a small radiator on the street but I would recommend a really good core, a high flowing fan, and a 160 degree thermostat.

Drag Race Build 220  8

1987 Isuzu P'up
    8.001 @ 165.88 · 4G63t Swapped