The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

coolant in oil pan!!!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M1L3S

10+ Year Contributor
Apr 1, 2012
maple grove, Minnesota
Im getting my car back on the road and I noticed that my oiI isnt looking right, and starting to be over filled on my dipstick

So first thing I think of is headgasket . But I have no crazy compression in my coolant hose

I did a compression test got

Then battery died! :ohdamn:

So I couldnt finish and had to get a jump home(auto store was closing and needed stuff back)

So I think its hg or oil filter cooler ? I have no oil in coolant, but coolant in oil

Im using a metal gasket

Any tips/help would be greatly appreciated

If the HG was just installed, that is probably your culprit.

Although it can happen I haven't seen too many posts about the oil cooler failing, unless something was damaged/tightened/changed just prior to the problem.

Obviously you must change the oil and complete the compression check. If that doesn't show something dramatic , and then maybe temporarily bypass the coolant lines to the OFH to see if you stop losing coolant.

if you used a MLS HG and didn't have the block and the head surfaced correctly then get ready to do it all over.

If the HG was just installed, that is probably your culprit.

Although it can happen I haven't seen too many posts about the oil cooler failing, unless something was damaged/tightened/changed just prior to the problem.

Obviously you must change the oil and complete the compression check. If that doesn't show something dramatic , and then maybe temporarily bypass the coolant lines to the OFH to see if you stop losing coolant.

if you used a MLS HG and didn't have the block and the head surfaced correctly then get ready to do it all over.

So I took apart the ofh and tested it. Its defiantly the hg. I didnt have the head decked nor the block. So im going to pull it tomorrow morning and replace with a composite one. Ive read it seals better and is more forgiving. Any inf on where and what to by ?

Felpro advance auto or any vendor for a oem one.

So I screw the head studs down with a allen head only hand tight ?

I had a stubborn head stud that I had to tighten down really hard to get it to go in good enough. I hope I didnt crack the block

Could improper stud install create my coolant in oil situation?

What headstuds are you using? If you got it apart I'd get some arp headstuds if you don't already. Yes you hand tighten them into the block with an allen wrench. Then you put the head on and washers and the 12 point nut and torque them down. Make sure to start from middle and work your way out. Also use a 12 point socket.

As tightening you asked about you do not want any loose bolts if you stripped the threads it could have lifted a little causing mixture of oil and coolant. I would get a tap that's the size of the bolts and see if you can repair it. If not you may need yo get it machined for a bigger size but I believe you would also need to get the head where the bolt would go machined also to fit new size.

Also yes if you did not get block and head decked your current hg will not seal properly.

What headstuds are you using? If you got it apart I'd get some arp headstuds if you don't already. Yes you hand tighten them into the block with an allen wrench. Then you put the head on and washers and the 12 point nut and torque them down. Make sure to start from middle and work your way out. Also use a 12 point socket.

As tightening you asked about you do not want any loose bolts if you stripped the threads it could have lifted a little causing mixture of oil and coolant. I would get a tap that's the size of the bolts and see if you can repair it. If not you may need yo get it machined for a bigger size but I believe you would also need to get the head where the bolt would go machined also to fit new size.

Also yes if you did not get block and head decked your current hg will not seal properly.

Arp head studs, one was hard to go (extremely hard)

Sounds like you did not clean the 20 year o;d crud out of the head bolt hole before you installed the head studs..

Carb cleaner and air will get loose oil and grit out.

Take an old head bolt and use it as a thread chaser to break loose the hard crud that is in the threads.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back