The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Comments on this kit?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The springs scare me..But I think those adjustable 1g kyb shocks are 75 a peice brand new from our vendors.

DON'T skimp on suspension..Your life is in the hands of your suspension choice.

I just googled M2 lowering spring reviews and seen several negative feedbacks on them ranging from hondas, toyotas, to Fbody forums. Plus I'm not too familar with KYB GR2 struts, I've always ran their AGX struts. My personal opinion looking finding a used set of springs on the DSM forums if you're on a budget and buy new struts, or try and find some used coilovers on a DSM forum.

I would spring for the extra $170 and get the Tokico HPK kit. It will handle better and last longer than most ebay spring/shock kits (or coilovers for that matter). Any stock replacement shock (such as KYB) won't last long being lowered, especially on sketchy springs such as those. Don't let the "adjustable" part fool you. So it's a matter of spend $500 now for shocks/springs that will last years, or spend $330 now and another $300 in a year when those shocks blow.

Tokico HPK Spring and Shock Kit (Mitsubishi DSM 1995 - 1999) - Modern Automotive Performance

GR-2s are not adjustable to start. They are factory replacement struts and are not meant to handle a drop (although neither are AGX's). M2 springs sound like some horrid eBay special springs, I wouldn't even think about putting them on my car. That being said, not worth it. You can get GR-2's on rockauto for around $200 not including the rockauto discount we get on here. I personally wouldn't lower on them though, I have them on my 1g on stock springs and they're a great OEM replacement, but not good for anything more than that.

Gr—2s can handle the drop of eibach lowering springs. 1.5 or 1.75" i think. I run them everday for over 20k. Plus whatever the po put on them. Still ride good and not bouncy or bottom out.

Gr—2s can handle the drop of eibach lowering springs. 1.5 or 1.75" i think. I run them everday for over 20k. Plus whatever the po put on them. Still ride good and not bouncy or bottom out.

You must be one of the lucky ones, or have nice roads. Although 20k isn't much on something that's supposed to last at least 60-100k.

I'm willing to bet that if you removed those shocks from the strut assembly, you could completely compress them by hand.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was really more or less asking about the shocks alone like I stated in the thread the springs seem like junk and I wasn't going to use them anyways and where can you find the agxs for 75 a piece that would be nice to find i would probably pick them up for that price and whatever I do get I'm most likely going with an eibach lowering kit

Eibach for 1g has been discontunued..

Jim might have, let me see if he knows where to get some locally to you.If you would be willing to drive.

Or check our freelencer adds and classifieds..I bet there is a full set of both for sale at any given time.

I was really more or less asking about the shocks alone like I stated in the thread the springs seem like junk and I wasn't going to use them anyways and where can you find the agxs for 75 a piece that would be nice to find i would probably pick them up for that price and whatever I do get I'm most likely going with an eibach lowering kit
I've had both GR-2 and AGX shocks wear prematurely on Eibach Pro-kits on my 1g - within about a year of installation. Many others have had the same experience. The KYB shocks (for the 1g at least, probably the 2g as well) don't like lowering springs - nor do most shocks for the DSM outside of the Koni. They're all designed to be used on stock height cars. Some have had better experiences than I, just know you'll be taking a risk. Feel free to do a search on my username and the term koni to see my endless banter on suspension.

The eBay ad says they are GR2, not AGX. Unless I'm missing something. You can get GR2 shocks from Oreilly for $75-80 with a lifetime warranty. So $330 wouldn't save you much if anything, and the seller would dodge any warranty claims against them.

And again, any OE replacement shock (GR2, AGX, B4, etc) is not going to last long being lowered. Performance shocks such as Tokico Blue/Lumina or Koni Yellow are designed specifically for use with lowering springs and will last much longer. Just because they don't leak, bend, or explode doesn't mean they're working.

I've had both GR-2 and AGX shocks wear prematurely on Eibach Pro-kits on my 1g - within about a year of installation. Many others have had the same experience. The KYB shocks (for the 1g at least, probably the 2g as well) don't like lowering springs - nor do most shocks for the DSM outside of the Koni. They're all designed to be used on stock height cars. Some have had better experiences than I, just know you'll be taking a risk. Feel free to do a search on my username and the term koni to see my endless banter on suspension.

If that's the case maybe I would just be better off getting the tikico kit that comes as one unit I definately don't want something that's only going to last a summer and why cheap out on suspension and still spend 500 dollars when it's going to wear out in a year

You must be one of the lucky ones, or have nice roads. Although 20k isn't much on something that's supposed to last at least 60-100k.

Roads are more bad than good and good isn't great. There over 20k just don't how far over. There off my rollover. So they aren't new by any means.

The rear spring isnt even an upgrade anyway. Its just lower

Roads are more bad than good and good isn't great. There over 20k just don't how far over. There off my rollover. So they aren't new by any means.

The rear spring isnt even an upgrade anyway. Its just lower

Like I said, you may have been a lucky one. I've had other shocks that seem to ride fine, but when removed were completely toast. Also, some people's perception of "fine" is better than others, especially after riding in something with good suspension.

Well I going to continue enjoying my luck then:D. And yes i know what a good suspension feels like. I won't have these for much longer. Paying off my dg coilovers soon then these are coming off.

I will say that this setup gets me alil uneasy over 100 but i guess thats not really what they are designed for.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back