The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Resolved Coil wiring

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yamahaulin

10+ Year Contributor
Jan 30, 2010
Bowling Green, Kentucky
On the coil where is the trigger wires coming from directly.?

The blue w/black and the blue w/red are the triggers and the red is the power shared between the coil. I was under the impression that the power transistor controlled the firing of the coils but those color wires are not coming from there.

I am asking because i can't get these 3 wires to fire a coil, but when i send the same 3 wires to my MSD DIS box it will fire the coil.

I'm getting really upset and confused as to how this can even happen, how can the same 3 wires tell the MSD when to fire but not to the coil directly as it was from the factory? I have new coils and a new power transistor and still no love hooked up the way the car came from the factory but through the MSD it will work with either the old or new power transistor or coils.

I checked the resistance on all 3 coils I have and they are in spec, I get around 13300. I hope someone can shed some light because I'm beating my head on the wall as to how this can happen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stock operation: The blue/black and blue/red trigger wires (blue/red changes to black/white before PTU) come from the power transistor (PTU). PTU grounds one side of the coil primary (completes circuit - current flows) to build up energy field in one coil primary and then disconnects (or open circuits the wire - current stops flowing) which causes the coil field to collapse across secondary inducing high voltage (>20kv) there to fire 2 spark plugs (1&4 or 2&3).

Different MSD's are different. Some drive the original PTU, some replace the PTU, some replace both PTU and coil, some use a COP (coil over plug) system.

The MSD DIS needs the trigger wires to ground then release so it can tell the coil when to fire. I'm not understanding how the MSD sees the trigger working properly and not the stock coil.

I don't know where to go next to figure out why the coil will not fire. I have swapped to a different CAS, a brand new OEM power transistor and I have 3 working coils that i can make fire using a battery putting 12v to one side then adding and removing a ground and it will fire, but when i put the cars trigger and power to the coil it won't fire.

Would you happen to know what every wire does that goes to the PTU? I'm thinking that maybe the ground or power supply to the PTU isn't very good and because the MSD has it's own power and ground that could be the reason why it works when i send the signal through it and not when i try to run the factory setup.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I found my problem. I built a test rig to test if the ptu would fire the coils on my work bench with me supplying all the correct signals and it did. So I reran a new power and ground to the ptu and my problems went away. Not sure which one fixed it I just ran both.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back