The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Coil driver for 4 coil on Plug No waste Spark

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burldude

15+ Year Contributor
May 2, 2004
Fort Bragg, California
I just got together with a Buddy of mine and we are working out a circuit to allow 4 coils with no waste spark using all the stock components . Just an additional black box to add . Plug and play . But before we really get serious , I have to find out what benefit will be gained . Gas mileage , emmissions , Hp ,or overall better idle. He is pretty much the Guru when it comes to electronics . I know what it would take but he will design the circuit . He wants proof that this would be a beneficial circuit .

So my question is will everyone help me persuade him ?

I talked about coil energizing , duty cycle, voltage drop. His remark is this all takes place so quick this circuit would be a waste of time .

Has anyone with an aem ems saw a good increase in power or drivabillity when going to 4 coils, and removing the waste spark ? Help me out guys , I know some of you out there would like to get rid of the waste spark system. :thumb:

burldude said:
But before we really get serious , I have to find out what benefit will be gained . Gas mileage , emmissions , Hp ,or overall better idle.
Well... it'll have some bling value, but there's really no reason to not run a waste spark. Nor is there much reason to replace the stock DSM ignition- it's quite robust, and more than adequate for up to over 400hp.

Why do you want to eliminate the waste spark?

COP should be enough, but if proen, I am sure people would buy it.

Defiant said:
Well... it'll have some bling value, but there's really no reason to not run a waste spark. Nor is there much reason to replace the stock DSM ignition- it's quite robust, and more than adequate for up to over 400hp.

Why do you want to eliminate the waste spark?

Bling value :laugh:

Other than duty cycle for the coils and voltage drop I see really no good reason . I think it would neat to be able to say I have a coil on plug setup with no waste spark .

When running an msd the higher current draw and running hotter coils could cause enough of a votage drop to make waste spark removal a good idea .

Like I said I need help convincing the engineer. :thumb:

If the spark energy is greater you could run large plug gaps. On the burschur website they run .050 gaps with plenty of boost. That means big spark. good burn. If you could increase the duration of the spark by letting the coils charge that much longer.

its actually a fairly simple circuit for someone with electronics education, basically just a hex inverter chip and then a simple power amp to drive the coils, simple really......btw get your hands on some coils from a modern crotch rocket from a yard (r6, r1 something like that) and put them to use............. :dsm:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back