The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Coil on Plug question

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jed344

Supporting VIP
Jan 10, 2008
Waterville, Iowa
I am about to purchase a Spark Tech coil on plug set up as well as dynatek ARC-2 CDI. My question is i am running a 95 ecu with ecm link in a 97 so my firing order is the same as a 95-96 so do i need to buy it wired for a 95-96 or a 97-99?

You have a 95 ecu? You wire it for a 95 ecu then

Your computer is switched to read for a 97 so I would say 97. In all actuality you could do either and just choose in link which you want. Not 100% sure but I don't see why it would make a difference unless the wiring is different.

Wiring is the same but when you run a 95 ecu it runs a different firing order i had to swap my plug wires around when i swapped to it. Reason why i am is iv had ecm link sense before they could run it on the non eprom's hence they 95 ecu LOL.

You need the 95-96 one.

Your computer is switched to read for a 97 so I would say 97. In all actuality you could do either and just choose in link which you want. Not 100% sure but I don't see why it would make a difference unless the wiring is different.

Ecmlink can only invert the CAS signal but not the firing order.

Yea synthetek is right. If you have a 2ga harness, you need to wire for a 2ga. The body year, motor year,etc dont matter at all. All it cares about is the ecu yr,given that the 2ga/2gb wiring is the same as far as youre concerned for this project.

May I ask why you want COP? I mean, you are indeed doing it the correct way with the arc box and all, but the stock coil/plug wires are good for more power than 99% of the people on this forum are making.
If its a cosmetic upgrade then i completely understand ya. It looks SHARP. I may do it as well one day for that reason but not from a performance standpoint. Just curious.

i am currently at low 400whp and am finishing my set up and will be shooting for 600whp so i just figured i might as well clean up the engine bay and be sure the spark is there for my goal.

Synthetek is right. Regardless of what year your car is, i.e. 97 GST 7bolt yada yada, your PCM is not that of a 97 anymore, a 95 EPROM has been switched over and "transplanted" into yours. Think of it like that and it will make sense. Whenever I diagnose or explain things to people, I break it down Barney style and relate it to something simpler, such as the human body for example. However, why don't you take this the DSMlink forums? This would be a much better question to be answered there, with maps and wiki's by now.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back