The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Coil On Plug [Merged 5-7]

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

i just hope that i do not have problems with a misfire again, i do not have an upgraded ignition. I was wondering how i would check my base timing with a COP?

Please excuse my ignorance here, I know only a little about ignition systems.

So does COP allow individual spark plug firing or does it still use wasted spark? I would assume that it depends on the ignition box... so, if you're stock, it's no wonder why COP doesn't help. Wouldn't you need an ignition system that can fire only one plug at a time in order to see a benefit?

Someone please set me straight on this...

Allows it. If you're using stock ignition it still has the same triggering system, so it's still "wasted" spark (although I hear that helps clean up the exhaust somewhat, which if true I wouldn't call that wasted at all). It also shortens the distance from the coil to the plug to esentially 0, so "no" resistance, and nothing to pull out (or wrap with electrical tape like the former owner of my talon felt was necissary). In my eyes it's also beneficial that you can get to all your spark equipment out in the open, it was a b*#$h pulling it off the first time.

Allows it. If you're using stock ignition it still has the same triggering system, so it's still "wasted" spark (although I hear that helps clean up the exhaust somewhat, which if true I wouldn't call that wasted at all). It also shortens the distance from the coil to the plug to esentially 0, so "no" resistance, and nothing to pull out (or wrap with electrical tape like the former owner of my talon felt was necissary). In my eyes it's also beneficial that you can get to all your spark equipment out in the open, it was a b*#$h pulling it off the first time.
Thanks for the info, I thought that was right...

i just hope that i do not have problems with a misfire again, i do not have an upgraded ignition. I was wondering how i would check my base timing with a COP?
Misfire conditions might be caused by the change of resistance. The stock system uses 2 coils, each coil fires 2 plugs at the same time, but only one spark is in a cylinder on the compression stroke, the other is on exhaust stroke -hence the term "wasted" spark. Now when you have the same signal going to 2 separate coils to fire individual cylinders instead of 1 coil to fire both of them, you will have a different impedence. The voltage is the same, but the current going to the 2 coils may not be enough to supply both coils with enough energy to light off a mix under some conditions, causing your misfire.

I'm thinking that base timing shouldn't change on a 2G since there is no way to adjust the CAS like on 1G cars. If you want to check timing, I imagine you can still use an inductive timing light on the #1 coil supply wire, you'll just have to get the light to "see" the lower voltage.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back