The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

clutch sticks a little bit at floor

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Denji

Supporting Member
May 4, 2004
Calabash, North_Carolina
Its kinda strange, its a relatively new clutch, master and slave cylinder with new fluid in it, but often times the clutch feels like it has a litttle bit of friction during total depression, where the last inch feels..well strange in and out. It never hesitates to come back up, it just has more resistance there and kinda weirds me out. Likewise, its either coming from the slave cylinder or the clutch lever that it pushes on (sorry, cant think of the name of that part right now). It feels like it needs grease or something. Any input?

Denji said:
Likewise, its either coming from the slave cylinder or the clutch lever that it pushes on (sorry, cant think of the name of that part right now).

Umm, the clutch fork?

Yeah, thanks, that would definitely be the part. I'll rebleed the system again, Its not very problematic so i'll do it when i have some free time. Maybe tomorrow if i have a friend with some free time to help me bleed. I can never find a damn 10mm wrench when i need it to bleed the slave cylinder, I should sort my tools better or something, or i should simplify my toolbox into having just 3 items: Duct tape, WD40 and a dremel kit.

When something is moving and you dont want it to move, duct tape it. If something is stuck when you don't want it to be stuck, WD40 it. Its that simple, plus, a dremel kit should be able to take care of everything else.

Anyhow, thanks for the input guys and thanks for reminding me what that part was called. I kept wanting to type clutch fork, but i thought in my head that i may have named it that on my own, lacking the real technical name for the part. Besides, car parts arent usually named after kitchen utensils.....

or...are they?... KNIFE edged crank (or whatever i have heard around)
honda SPOON engine (does that exist or was that just in the fast and the furious?)
oil PAN (okay not a utensil)

So..right, its late i'm rambling about stupid crap, thanks again, im gonna get some sleep.

I would suggest adjusting the rod under the dash for the master cylinder sounds as if it may be too tight.
I would do this and check the slave as well.
Umm, the clutch fork?
I highly doubt it's the fork.:notgood:

Also, does this happen when it's cold (outside temp/engine temp) or all the time? A little h2o in the system will also cause something similar to this.

I would do this and check the slave as well.

I highly doubt it's the fork.:notgood:

Also, does this happen when it's cold (outside temp/engine temp) or all the time? A little h2o in the system will also cause something similar to this.

Haha. cool man, i'll work on the fluid some more. I'd rather it be that anyways so im all cool with the :notgood: to the fork.

Isn't a sticking clutch a symptom of crankwalk?

It can be, predominately during left turns. Dont bust out the C-bomb too quickly around here! My clutch doesnt stick literally too the floor, it just seems to have a little more resistance, but never hesitates to actually return.

New update. I have since realized that it is only weird at the bottom when the car is fully warmed up and been driven for a bit, at start up symptoms do not exist, and even for first bit of driving. Makes me think it might be water that is in my line which evaporates and causes there to be air in my line after some time driving. I'll update shortly!

I have that same problem with my pedal sticking like half way. Not always though. I put a new slave cylinder in and i ordered a new master cylinder and I am going to put that in this week. I think that the pressure plate might not have alot of pressure. the springs could be weak.
ktowntalon:talon:

Okay, bleeding did not help the problem. The master cylinder is 2 years old and the slave is around 1. Neither are leaking. The resistance is found about an inch from being fully depressed. The resistance is felt both while being depressed and on its return. I dont know if it is a crankwalk problem or not, I havent had time to officially check endplay but I did a couple of tests.

1. No matter how hard i take a left or right it seems the same, actually i notice it less because im more distracted by the turn.

2. I tried to see if i could move the crank pulley by applying a little pressure with a flathead screwdriver, It didnt move in and out

3. there is no ticking from the car or loss of rpms when clutch is depressed.

These tests make me feel that it is a clutch issue. I tried to adjust the pedal down so i wouldnt feel it. This works but leaves my clutch feeling uncomfortably low and its catch point really close to the floor. Any other suggestions are welcome. Thanks

More info if anyone is checking this even. The clutch issue has some weird symptoms. If the clutch is depressed quickly, i can't even notice the resistance near the bottom, also, seems to be worse when the car is on and warm. I also had a friend depress the clutch over and over again while i tried to see any crank movement, i could neither feel or see any. I got a tip from a fellow dsmer that you should actually bleed the slave cylinder by pushing in the rod when you bleed, I did this tonight yet i have not driven the car. I wil update after school tomorrow. Any input is still welcomed, moving the clutch more to the floor did seem to help some this afternoon. Keep in mind it is not literally sticking to the floor as in not returning into its original position, just simply seems to be more resistance.

So breakdown of this post is..

1. pumping the clutch seems to help elimate the feeling for about 10 seconds
2. the more aggresive i drive the smoother the clutch feels, its not even noticeable if i push the clutch in faster
3. seems to worsen as car heats up more

More info if anyone is checking this even. The clutch issue has some weird symptoms. If the clutch is depressed quickly, i can't even notice the resistance near the bottom, also, seems to be worse when the car is on and warm. I also had a friend depress the clutch over and over again while i tried to see any crank movement, i could neither feel or see any. I got a tip from a fellow dsmer that you should actually bleed the slave cylinder by pushing in the rod when you bleed, I did this tonight yet i have not driven the car. I wil update after school tomorrow. Any input is still welcomed, moving the clutch more to the floor did seem to help some this afternoon. Keep in mind it is not literally sticking to the floor as in not returning into its original position, just simply seems to be more resistance.

So breakdown of this post is..

1. pumping the clutch seems to help elimate the feeling for about 10 seconds
2. the more aggresive i drive the smoother the clutch feels, its not even noticeable if i push the clutch in faster
3. seems to worsen as car heats up more

odds are you wouldnt be able to Feel or see any crank movment you use a dial guage for that..

My master cylinder is only 6months old and its leaking. Can you feel even a small film of slipperiness on the master's rod? If so, it might be leaking and cause your issue.
While my clutch never sticks, it sometimes feels squishy because of this and its characteristics also change with driving time/heat.
Good luck.

Im thinking sticky was probably the wrong descriptive word. It never actually loses pedal pressure and "sticks" in place. It more or less feels like my clutch gets harder to push down to the floor as the tranny heats up, then when i push past the mushy/resistant spot near the floor, it feels kinda notchy in that place on the way up.

I replaced the clutch line with a stainless steel one and removed the slave cylinder restrictor, this seemed to help a lot, the clutch is no longer sticky. I dont know why this helped but i thought that i'd see if it made a difference and got lucky. If anyone is having this problem give it a try. A lot of people make it sound like a bad idea to remove the restrictor and how they had to relearn how to drive their car, from my experience the difference is positive and subtle. The car is easier to drive than before.

UPDATE: the problem is only less noticeable, after more driving a realize that its still there. check last post for more info.

odds are you wouldnt be able to Feel or see any crank movment you use a dial guage for that..

Well, perhaps, but if I am getting symptoms that would be significantly affecting my clutch pedal, the slave cylinder would probably have to extend an additional .25 inch or so, I imagine that such a small play where i couldnt feel it or see it at all would be nearly undectable from the clutch pedal itself, i may be wrong im just thinking logically as i can. I dont have access to a feeler guage and find crankwalk rather unlikely anyhow since i didnt have any real symptoms other than "strange" clutch feeling, which is hardly specific. I am now thinking that the problem was possibly that i had the clutch adjusted really high.

Also, i seem to be unable to change the height in my clutch pedal where it engages. I can increase or decrease freeplay and pedal height only, but i cant literally move the engagement point to 1" or so from the ground unless i move the pedal down near the ground. Heres the only real effect i can have.

I can set it up like this, which made my clutch strange

_top
-freeplay
-freeplay
-
-engagement point
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
_bottom

or I can do this to the pedal, which solves the problem i was having about 95% of the time. i cant literally move the engagement point from its place int he pedal, any suggestions?

_top
-freeplay
-freeplay
-
-engagement point
-
-
-
_bottom

This problem is bothering me a lot, so I'm going to offer 10 bucks to anyones paypal account that gives me input that leads directly to me finding the problem with my car. Not just what could be the problem but a reasonable explanation of the theory behind why that would be the problem or a personal experience with similar symptoms. Of course, the 10 bucks will be given to the first person that posts up the relevant information.

Summary of symptoms and info.

Main symptom: after pushing clutch in around 9/10 of the way, there is a lack of resistance, so it feels firm firmer then firmest and then feels soft at the very bottom. This predominately happens under heavy acceleration.

Side note: Clutch is a little sticky at the bottom of its pedal travel.

The clutch is unaffected by turning, never have i experienced it any different after any turn at any speed.
The feeling is only noticeable when i push the clutch in rather quickly, it seems as if easing it in alleviates the feeling.
The clutch hydralics are all replaced within 2 years, none of the boots are leaking fluid on either cylinder
The car doesnt tick strangely with or without the clutch depressed.
I seem to be unable to move the clutch pedal engagement point from near the top.
The hydraulic reservoir is full and been recently bled correctly with all new fluid.
I greased the pedal...
The clutch never hesitates to return to its upright position on its own.
The car appears to actually shift better during acceleration than slow speed city driving, its not really hurting the driveability much but I'm annoyed at the fact that i dont know what it is and no one seems to have had a problem quite the same. I'll be checking and updating regularly.

I'm starting a new thread so that i can post my new topic title with updated summary of my problem, this one can be closed. The new thread is http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=253469 incase anyone wants to be redirected there or has a similar problem and is searching for an answer. Naturally the 10 dollar reward is only offered on the new thread. Thanks!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back