The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

Clutch not disengaging...

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a_scobel

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 6, 2003
Alexandria, Virginia
So my clutch isn't disengaging..can't push the shifter into the gates when the car's started.

I noticed I had some fluid (oil) on my garage floor. The clutch fluid reservoir was completely empty. The hose going from the reservoir to the slave cylinder was really stretched out, like it was about ready to blow..any ideas? I really don't want to tear the tranny apart.

Check you master and slave cylinders and the clutch line. Hows the pedal pressure?

I just put new fluid in a couple days ago when the problem started..checked it today, and the fluid was pretty much grey.

I'm thinking about just buying a new master & slave cylinder & replacing them just for the hell of it..car has 105k miles on it, so it wouldn't hurt.

Well I'm guessing you have a leak somewhere and if it all leaked out then now you have air in your lines. Did you bleed the slave cylinder after you refilled it. I say find your leak, refill your lines, and bleed the lines.

Got under the car..here's some pics I took..whole oil pan & everything are like caked with this mud-looking stuff...any ideas? You can see it dripping off the oil pan. Looks like the same stuff that was coming out of the Master cylinder.

Attachments

• IMG_0003.jpg
    IMG_0003.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_0005.jpg
    IMG_0005.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 166
This is what I suggest, new master and slave, steel braided clutch line then bleed the system exactly as prescribed here. Remember, make sure you follow the directions given when bleeding so air does not re-enter the system.

Replace that rubber hose with a braided one from RRE. Throw away the dopey accumulator.
http://www.roadraceengineering.com/instructions/2gclutchlineinstructions.htm

That's the hard way to bleed a clutch, and pumping like a brake system isn't necessary.
Just push in on the slave pushrod, crack the bleeder, close the bleeder and release the rod. Keep an eye on the master resevoir level, and regardless which method you use (including a MityVac), re-bleed for two more weekends.

Just wanted to update..I replaced the master & slave cylinders, along with installing the stainless steel clutch line. Been a little busy so it took a while to fix, but it's up & running now! Now I just have to figure out where that oil leak is coming from...

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back