The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

Clutch And Tranny problems

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnsheehan2006

Probationary Member
Mar 24, 2006
New Castle, Pennsylvania
Ok let me try to explain this the best I can. I have a 1990 TSi AWD with 84,xxx miles on it. When I bought it the clutch was junk and the tranny was locked up. I picked up a lightly used act 2600 clutch kit and street light flywheel. Also a lightly used rebuilt tranny, all out of a 91 TSi AWD. I installed everything plus a new clutch master(I extended its rod also because i was having disengagement issues),slave,extended slave rod,and SS cluth line replacement. I also had to replace the shifter base and cables because they were different lengths. Now to the problems. Ok if the car is running in neutral with the clutch pedal not depressed then if I try and push the clutch in and put it in first it grinds some. Im thinking to solve this problem I need to shim the pivot ball out in the bell housing to get more throw on the clutch. But my other problem I'm not sure if its clutch related or not. If I get on it hard and run first gear out then go for second the shifter goes all the way back but theres no gear there. When the rpms drop it falls into second gear. If you baby it its pretty much fine. Is this linkage adjustment or clutch related or what? Any input will be appreciated! :talon:

Anyone? I've been going at this blind for almost a month now. I just want to get it right! LOL :barf:

Have you tried bleeding your clutch fluid yet, I mean, it's kind of a shot in the dark, but I've heard of some cases were that fixes a lot of problems.

Reading back over your original post, it looks like you didn't shim out the pivot ball in the bell housing. On a 2600, that's pretty much mandatory in order not to grind on that clutch setup. I mean, I know that you don't want to pull it all out again, so I'd really try, I dunno, like adjusting the pedal if you can. Not sure if that would help or not, re-checking things. Sorry man, I really wish I could just say "yeah, your problem is ..." but I have no idea.

Well i found one of my problems. On the shift cables right on top of the tranny there is a metal tube under the little rubber piece that covers the cable in between the bracket on the tranny and where the cables actually hook up to the shift arms. That little tube is loose and moves. Which lets the cable bend when i go for 2nd 4th and reverse! A little jb-weld will fix that. And I guess Im gonna have to pull the tranny one last time and put 2, 1/8 inch washers under the pivot ball. My only question is, is that gonna be to much? Like to the point where it pushes the TOB off its suraface it rides on. Know what I mean?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back