The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Cleaning my block up

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boosted DSM 32

10+ Year Contributor
Aug 21, 2011
McDonald, Ohio
I got the new block for my car and its absolutely disgusting (see pictures) and i wanted to clean it up and degrease it and paint it before i put it in the car..

I have a few questions about doing this.

1.) can i pressure wash the block?

2.) if so what if anything do i have to cover up besides the deck?

3.) is there anything else besides the head that i need to take off to clean it up

4.) whats the best thing to use to get into the small areas on the block? i was thinking a wire wheel on a drill, and some degreaser and rust remover?

Thanks guys! Ill post pics on here when its done also :)

Attachments

• engine photo (1).jpg
    engine photo (1).jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 191
  • engine photo (3).jpg
    engine photo (3).jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 178
  • engine photo 2.jpg
    engine photo 2.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 192
Why waist the money when I can do it myself for free? Haha I enjoy doing this kind of stuff

If you had a hot tank, bead blast cabinet, and the right media, you wouldn't be asking for help..

The thing about cleaning the cast iron of the block to paint it (if you want the paint to last) is it needs to be cleaned properly. Solvents from your local hardware store and Walmart aren't the proper way to clean the block.

If you want it to be a professionall strip job bring it to me at pennewells sandblasting. look it up im the only blaster there itd ###### be less than $100and knowing it was a 4g63 id do it right i use starblast media which is hands down the best blast media for your job guarntee you wont be disapointed 100% clean steal ready to paint id get it white steel for ya aslong as u paint it right its a finish that will outlast you or the car

The block is iron not "steal"

Are you a supporting vendor? Cause if not you shouldent be talking like a salesman. Op take it to a machine ahop have it magna fluxed also make sure it's even a good block, mechanists are great! I tried to paint my nasty trans myself after cleaning it, paint flaked off, sent it to shep where he bead blasted and painted, thing still looks new after 4k miles

I can't blame you for wanting to do it yourself. If your not getting work done on the block, it's kind of pointless. My machinist would include basic cleaning for free if I was getting any work done. And sandblasting would require the block to be disassembled. So here's what I have done in the past:

Remove everything from the exterior of the block. Oil pump, water pump, engine mounts, etc. If the oil pan isn't leaking I'd leave it on and clean/paint it too. But your going to want new gaskets on most these things anyways. Cover the open areas with plastic or something water resistant, you obviously don't want tons of water getting into areas like the cylinders. Then scrub it down with lightly watered down Purple Power and rinse with clean water. Dry it right away with any old towel or rag, just not a greasy shop rag. Once it's completely dry, mask off any gasket surfaces and spray it down with high temp paint.

I used this method with my current block after it was ran through the parts washer. So it wasn't as dirty as yours, but still pretty gnarly since it wasn't sand blasted by the shop. It's an unnecessary expense if you ask me. Mine has lasted thousands of miles with all kinds of oil and coolant spilled on it.

Wire wheel sounds about right for getting rid of the rust. If you pressure wash it make sure you dry it up and spray the crap out of everything with wd-40 to get all the water off and prevent surface rust. I would take all the pulleys and any part that rotates off before pressure washing it. I prefer to use gasoline to get all the oil and grease off, its way better than degreaser imo. I got man hands so the gasoline doesn't bother mine at all. Once you get it clean, wipe it down with paint thinner thats 100% mineral spirits. That will remove any left over residue and allow the paint to stick.

Last edited by a moderator:
An acid bath would be best for internal and external. but if youre just worried about external all sandblasting would require is protection of the deck/ machined surfaces either a wooden cutout on the deck or ducktape

Pull the engine down to a bare block.

Get 2 cans od easy off oven cleaner Yellow can, name brand.

Soak the block inside and out with one can of easy off, let soak for about an hour.

Pressure wash.

Take a wire brush, wire wheel, and wire tooth brush

Srcub till your arm falls off.

Soak again with the other can of easy off, let soak then pressure wash again

Blow the machined surfaces dry with compressed air, then oill with WD40

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/cylinder-head-short-block/362154-how-final-wash-engine-block.html

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/articles-engine-fuel/452546-4g63-block-oiling-mod.html#post153148047

Then go to a good machine shop and have the cylinders honed, and the block decked.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/cyl...-deck-4g63-cast-iron-block.html#post152790451

How about if the short block is assembled? I want to clean/paint my short block but it is already completely assembled with the oil pump and everything. It looks like the OP's block :/

I cant believe you said to use the easy off. makes me feel good inside because I used easy off on my block and head but just because I know how good it cleans the ovens' grime. and it seemed pretty good idea at the time.

I cant believe you said to use the easy off. makes me feel good inside because I used easy off on my block and head but just because I know how good it cleans the ovens' grime. and it seemed pretty good idea at the time.

Thats how I cleaned my first block about 25 years ago, in the back yard with a friend of the family, who helped me rebuild my first engine.

Dont use easy off on an aluminum cylinder head.

Yes this^^^^^ it will do horrid things to alum.

Thats how I cleaned my first block about 25 years ago, in the back yard with a friend of the family, who helped me rebuild my first engine.

Yes this^^^^^ it will do horrid things to alum.

to late.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back