The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Clanging noise incoming from driveshaft/transfer case

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Casem13

Proven Member
Apr 15, 2017
Olympia, Washington
Posting this here because I was getting no response in drivetrain.

So I normally can hear a pop noise when I move my car forward or back from a parked position. It only pops once and then it won’t do it again until I’m parked again. And I have no idea why. But it’s sounds like it’s coming from the passenger side. And I’ve already checked for anything loose or broken and nothing. But now today I went to the store and just before I turned into my home I had to stop for traffic. I then went to pull forward and I get this loud sound that sounds like someone banging two metal pipes together. And I can kind of feel it in my feet. I had my girlfriend stand next to my car and tell me where the sound was coming from and she pointed to where the transfer case and driveshaft are. The car drives fine and it only makes the noise when accelerating forward or backward. I have no idea what could be causing it.

Looking at the video it appears the transfer case is whats making the sound banging against drivers axle perhaps? It looks like its pivoting up and down. Does it have all the mounting bolts (any fall out?) and are they all tightened down to spec?
I was watching the video again and thinking the same thing. I’ll check again but I think it’s all ok. The way the noise sounds. It sounds like the teeth on a shaft are catching and then slipping. I honestly feel like it’s a t case or center diff issue. And not in the rear

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back