The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

1G Chattering noise Pass side under

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pat026

Proven Member
Nov 27, 2016
Milford, Pennsylvania
Figured this be the best place to post it. So I took my 1g out for the summer changed all the fluids plugs and all. Took it out for a drive an here this weird grinding chattering noise coming from the passenger side underneath. It sounds like a plastic fan when it hits something or like a playing card in a bicycle spoke. It only happens on acceleration in all gears. Any ideas if this is drivetrain related?

Yes it increases with rpms it’s nonstop once I accelerate it’s weird doesn’t really sound like grinding gears but it’s coming from that side of the car

Nothing unusual with the tire I just replaced them before winter and there at around 35psi

Maybe it’s a clicking noise I’m not 100% but it only gets louder with speed doesn’t change if I go straight or turn the wheel doesn’t sound like a bearing honestly sounds like a playing card in a bicycle spoke an only gets louder as I go faster. It’s been garage kept all winter

I can post a video but i won’t be able to till tomorrow or Tuesday I left it at my dads didn’t know if I should keep driving on it or not didn’t know if it was transmission related

I had a clutch and pressure plate installed maybe a year ago had no issues with it after the winter season is when it started

Speaking of noises that may or may not be related, after I replaced my clutch & PP and reinstalled my trans late last year, I'd occasionally get this strange sound from the trans area when the car was at a light or stop sign and the shifter in neutral, that was sort of like a spinning metal disc lightly rubbing against something. Could this mean insufficient engagement or perhaps something with the throwout bearing being loose?

Btw, since this doesn't really merit its own thread, I was just wondering, which gear on the intermediate shaft on an AWD DSM trans actually drives the center diff's drive gear? I'll soon find out when I finally drop the trans and open it up (lots of delays), but I was just curious. It's got to be either 3rd or 4th, and I'm guessing 3rd.

Thanks. I would have figured it out eventually:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Does the FSM mention this anywhere, or is it something experienced mechs just "know"? And is 3rd gear pretty common for most manual trans?

Sorry for the sidejack folks. Carry on!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back