The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Cause of my bent shift rail

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xploitn

10+ Year Contributor
Dec 19, 2011
Denver, Colorado
I had to take my transmission apart because I lost 3-4 gear. Now it's apart and the 3-4 shift rail was bent and seized up so it wouldn't rotate more than 10 degrees and without a lot of resistance.

I got the rail out by sticking a pick through the hole for the roll pin and twisting back and forth. I figured out what bound it up in the first place. There is a small imperfection at the bottom of the hole that the end of the rail goes into. This gouged the rail as I forcefully removed it and then the rail scratched the sides of the hole.

The hole is apart of the transmission case and I'm hesitant to assemble it again now that the side of the hole is scratched which can be caught easily with my fingernail. I definitely need to find a way to grind down the imperfection. Not sure how I'll do that.

Opinions?
Pics below

Old shift rail
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

2 pics of the Imperfection and the scratches.

There are 2 ways you'll be able to use that case again. Run a brake hone in it to smooth it out, and live with the extra clearance, or drill it out, install a bushing, and hone it to the proper clearance.

I disagree. Those shafts dont rotate like a bearing. They merely pivot. Id clean it up. That doesnt look like a flaw to me. That looks like embedded fod. Have you tried to pick at it?
There is no seal like a brake piston etc. If it were me id smooth it out with some fine sandpaper both rail and hole. If the rail is bent get a new one. Make sure you get the right year. They are not all the same.

Could you explain what embedded fod might be? It's like all the material that got sctratched off, collected in one ball then semi welded to the bottom of the hole. Maybe due to heat?

Before I tore the transmission apart, I contacted Shep and he shipped me all 3-4 components for a great price, I will be using the new rail and any other components based on wear.

I'm no expert, but here is my plan to fix the hole:
  1. Picking at the fod with a pick,
  2. Carefully using a dremel with the appropriate bit to dislodge the fod and not touch any other parts of the hole
  3. Hone the inside to get an even surface
  4. Lightly sand and polish the walls of the hole to a smooth surface.

The new shaft will have slightly more play, but as Paulyman has said, the rod only goes in and out of the hole, there is no rotation and no seal. The only issue I can think of with having too much clearance might result in oil not evenly spreading on the sides of the rail or potentially uneven wear of the rail.

You shouldnt have to hone anything. Just deburr and make it smooth. Doubt it will even be sloppy.

Any ideas on what to use to sand/deburr? The google searches are pointing towards 1000, 2000, then 300 grit silicon oxide sandpaper. The hole is 13mm diameter, I can barely get my pinky finger in there. Any suggestions?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back