The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

cas electrical issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paintballer999

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 15, 2011
Blairstown, New_Jersey
i currently do not have any spark coming from my plugs, my coil pack is good, but on the cas is there a 12v power source that i could test to verify that the cas is receiving power?

i took the ecu out of the car and there was no signs of it being destroyed. there was no smells or any part of the circuit board showing signs of it being destroyed. is there a test that i can do to test for power going to the cas. also if the key is turned to the on position, would the cas receive power? even if the car is not running

gofer said:
Your CAS has four wires going to it, a 12v signal and ground the other two are signal wires for the TDC and CAM inputs to the ECU. To test them you'll have to pull the CAS off the head and turn it by hand, this will allow you to test the signals with a multimeter as you spin it. Both the CAM and TDC signal wires should read up to 5v as you spin the CAS, the CAM signal wire pulses 4 times per revolution and the TDC pulses 2 times.

Heres a pin out of the CAS connector going to the ECU so you can check continuity of the wires and know which wires to test for the CAM & TDC pulses.

ECU Pins to CAS connector Pins -
CAM Signal wire (YEL): Pin 2 at the CAS (4 pulses per revolution)
TDC signal wire (WHT): Pin 1 at the CAS (2 pulses per revolution)
as for the wires, what is the red wire for? is that the 12v and the black the ground?

Last edited by a moderator:
ok, so since i got the wires correct, could i use a test light and put it in the male connector for the red wire and the negative from the test light to the battery to see if there is an electric current when i turn the car on?

Could I run a wire from a 12v source to the cas instead of using the write harness?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back