1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

2G Carpet

Posted by Superman eZ3, May 10, 2016

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Feal Suspension
  1. Superman eZ3

Superman eZ3 Probationary Member

Joined Nov 2, 2015
    New Rochelle, New York
  2. A Sharp

A Sharp Proven Member

Joined Nov 18, 2013
    Platteville, Wisconsin
    I literally just bought from those guys. I chose to go without mass backing, and I don't regret my decision. The carpet is just as thick as OEM and has some nice thick padding on it as is.

I'd save the $53 and spend it on a leather restoration kit (if you have leather).

Street Build 1K  10

1995 Eagle Talon TSi
    manual · 2G DSM
  3. miliman13

miliman13 Proven Member

Joined Jan 1, 2011
    tampa, Florida
    7 dollars from a junk yard..
    Not worth it at all. You can buy alternate forms of padding.. I can leave my build link on you want, for reference

2K  0

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    manual · 2G DSM

1K  0

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    13.066 @ 106.880 · 2G DSM
  4. PlanZero

PlanZero Proven Member

Joined Aug 13, 2013
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    IMO carpet's a complete waste of $150, especially on a GS. Maybe on a 4g, but you're going to wish you didn't spend it when you start dumping money on real repairs. Dying the stock carpet has been done many times with great success, or even a thorough cleaning usually removes most of the grime. Or stick a 3g eclipse carpet in there with slight modification, as I did on my old GS awhile back
    http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/7-new-carpet.476843/

Street Build 4K  8

1996 Eagle Talon TSi
    fwd · automatic · 2G DSM

Street Build 2K  0

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    automatic · 2G DSM
  5. simplejoe

simplejoe Proven Member

Joined Feb 6, 2013
    Ford City, Pennsylvania
    I took carpet out, pressure washed it, scrubbed it with carpet cleaner and then let it dry in the sun. Came out almost new looking. Another car I just dyed it and it also worked great. So if yours isn't that bad here's a couple options.

Street Build 2K  0

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    manual · 2G DSM
  6. 91-GS

91-GS Proven Member

Joined Jan 12, 2013
    Paris, Tennessee
    Instead of spending $50 on that backing go to your local home improvement store and get 3 rolls of stick-back flashing. All that is is thick aluminum foil with really sticky gummy glue on one side. Now since the carpet would be out for cleaning/replacement anyways go ahead and stick that aluminum all over where carpet goes, same way as if you were applying more expensive 'professional grade' sound insulation. Three rolls ought to be enough for two layers. Now your car would be much more quiet and comfortable to ride in, although just a bit heavier. Don't forget to put the carpet back.

1K  0

1991 Mitsubishi Eclipse N/T
    000.0 whp · 000.0 lb/ft · 1G DSM
  7. Black95TSIawd

Black95TSIawd Proven Member

Joined Jan 28, 2003
    Dirty, New Jersey
    Buncha cheap asses. LOL

Do it right or don't do it. These cars are old as f***. Move on if it takes a restoration to keep it going.

5K  8

1998 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    184.4 whp · 251.0 lb/ft · 2G DSM
  8. Superman eZ3

Joined Nov 2, 2015
    New Rochelle, New York
    LoL Well to give you guys an update, I ended up going with Auto Custom Carpets, Inc (https://www.accmats.com/) - Here's some before and afters (and yes, I did go with the extra charge for the mass backing)

IMG_3135.JPG IMG_3380.JPG

9. Mitsubishiown

Mitsubishiown Proven Member

Joined Feb 11, 2012
    Davison, Michigan
    Wow carpet looks great! How do you like it? And is it holding up well? I will probably buy some those this week.

Drag Race Build 620  1

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · automatic · 2G DSM
  10. Detail

Detail Supporting VIP

Joined May 28, 2003
    Marietta, Georgia
    I have the same carpet you purchased. I can tell you that you did an excellent job installing it. Harder than it looks. Well done!

388  5

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 2G DSM

772  23

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    14.000 @ 109.000 · 2G DSM
  11. Superman eZ3

Joined Nov 2, 2015
    New Rochelle, New York
    Thank you. Definitely satisfied with the purchase. It has held up perfectly. No tears, easy to clean and just overall still looks brand new. Well worth it. Did you end up purchasing them last month?

Thank you but I have to give all the credit to Audio Illusions in New Rochelle, NY. They took the time to handle this while they were doing some audio upgrades for me and did a phenomenal job. To this day, still in tact, no loose corners or snags on any part of the carpet at all.

12. Techn0Nut1996

Techn0Nut1996 Supporting Member

Joined Jan 20, 2017
    Ames, Iowa
    Looks way better! At first I was also going to suggest the carpet dye or a good cleaning since I have had great luck with both these methods at work but after seeing the second before and after picture I think you made the right call. Did you install it yourself? If so how much of a pain was it?

774  3

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM