The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Carbonfiber roof?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacobevan611

10+ Year Contributor
Jan 4, 2009
livermore, California
I've seen some 2gs with carbonfiber roofs and I was wondering how they get it like that. Is there an actual roof you can buy? Is it a vinyl? Or do they lay carbonfiber over the roof? Thanks.

To have a full CF roof, you would need to to a lot of fab work. MHO is it's either vinyl or a cover.

yeah carbonmods know there stuff.... great how too....

I'd like to somehow cover my 2gb front bumper. I already have cf hood and fenders. Front bumper would b nice

has anyone ever done a full over lay of the entire car? that would be very interesting to see..

Let's not get out of hand here, a cf bumper is pointless, stock weighs very little.

I like the roof but it would look best with the hood and hatch in cf too, I want to do it with my car one day.

Let's not get out of hand here, a cf bumper is pointless, stock weighs very little.

Um, since you brought the issue up, I believe that adding a CF overlay to the roof doesn't reduce the weight of the car. I'm not sure, tho', so I probably shouldn't be posting at all - I've seen claims all over the intertubes that such and such a cosmetic mod is worth such and such horsepower, so maybe I'm wrong - but my default belief is that an overlay of any sort will actually make the car weight more (and do so in the worst possible place).

tee hee

I was pretty much feeling the same way....LOL
I get the idea of supercars using it for bodies and monocoques but highly doubt they cover up a steel or flexible plastic bumper with it
not impressed here.
go all the way I feel make a mold of the part you want and have one made in carbon. replace said part with the carbon part then talk to me
im going to overlay my whole car with polished stainless i think!!!!!
would that make it a deloreagle?

I get the idea of supercars using it for bodies and monocoques but highly doubt they cover up a steel or flexible plastic bumper with it

Actually, since we're getting a tad technical, it's used when the chassis is box and skin (or, at least, when that part of the body is box and skin), and not used when the car is monocoque (which is just a fancy French way of saying that the body is the chassis and v.v.). The roof on a DSM is part of the stretched monocoque chassis, so you can't cut it out and replace it without giving up strength (which you really, really don't want to do, since the chassis of a 2G in particular has the torsional stiffness of over-cooked pasta). In contrast, on a car with a box and skin roof, such as, say, an Evo X, you can yank the aluminum roof and replace it with CF and lose nothing in terms of chassis strength. Not that CF weighs that much less than thin aluminum, but if you have more dollars than sense ... er, cents ... then knock yourself out.

Oh, I know it's completely a form thing and not function. For it to be functional you'd have to remove the stock steel roof skin.....after that I'm not sure what has to be done. Maybe someone with an engineering degree or something can explain it :)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back