The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

car won't tune right

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lasershark

Proven Member
May 17, 2013
over yander, Idaho
I have been trying to tune my car and it seems no matter what I do (at WOT) the car jumps rich to 10-1. I have been keeping an eye on my logger and a couple of days ago the low fuel trim just reads -- but mid and high fuel trims are still functioning. I have been reading a lot of stuff but I can't quite figure out the deal. I read one thread with a similar -- low fuel trim reading and someone said it might be stuck in open loop??

Brand new o2 sensor
3" exhaust with cat
small 16g (mhi)
evo 560's
safc 2
evo 9 rewired pump

Just need a little help or advice as to where to start.
Thanks

I don't think you'll get there with your safc, they don't have much tuning power because of the way they work by trying to trick the oem ecu's factory fuel maps. By design dsm's run pig rich & the ecu will be trying to make things rich with a lot of throttle. Also the safc has a limited range of inj size they can control and as it get closer to the limit it gets harder lean out. I would would try for afr's around 11:1 @ WOT with a safc. What brand of O2 are you using?

Post a log if you have one.
I will try to post a log (never done that before) after I get some new batteries. Gotta love the Palms!

I don't think you'll get there with your safc, they don't have much tuning power because of the way they work by trying to trick the oem ecu's factory fuel maps. By design dsm's run pig rich & the ecu will be trying to make things rich with a lot of throttle. Also the safc has a limited range of inj size they can control and as it get closer to the limit it gets harder lean out. I would would try for afr's around 11:1 @ WOT with a safc. What brand of O2 are you using?
I am running evo 560 injectors and my wideband is an AEM. If you are referring to the actual o2, that is a Denso. The problem I am having is no matter how I try to tune it, it jumps to 10 to 1 on the wideband at WOT. I know piggy backs aren't top choice but my goals are extremely modest for now, well at least until my schooling is finished.
You might have a boost leak. I'd be checking for that first.
As of two months ago I had no boost leaks, but I guess it cant hurt to do another BLT.
thanks

Boost leak test. If youre on the 1G Maf with those injectors and an SAFC, you should be around -18 correction on both high and low settings on the SAFC. That is just a rough starting point to get the fuel trims close and achieve the stock AFR at wide open throttle, which is very rich at around 9.3:1, so if youre wanting to see 11:1 AFR, you need to add about another -13 or so to the high correction, so -31 or so from 2.5k to 7.5k RPM points on the SAFC. This is all assuming that everything is performing properly and you have no boost leaks.

Boost leak test. If youre on the 1G Maf with those injectors and an SAFC, you should be around -18 correction on both high and low settings on the SAFC. That is just a rough starting point to get the fuel trims close and achieve the stock AFR at wide open throttle, which is very rich at around 9.3:1, so if youre wanting to see 11:1 AFR, you need to add about another -13 or so to the high correction, so -31 or so from 2.5k to 7.5k RPM points on the SAFC. This is all assuming that everything is performing properly and you have no boost leaks.

I just wanted to update since you were very helpful; you were right that I wasn't pulling enough correction. I didn't know that the cars ran so rich on stock AFR. I pulled more correction and got it down to 11:1 and wow what a difference. Thanks for the help from everybody.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back