The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Car wont start need more help/ideas

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eclipsekid187

15+ Year Contributor
Nov 27, 2006
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Ok well i have been searching every no start, wont start, car wont start etc... threads and i still have yet to figure my problem out. Checked battery - good, starter had it tested - good, checked the terminals and grounds wire brushed them, all of the cables were new no cracks. When i pulled the starter before i had it tested i used a mirror to look into the hole to see if i might have broke or bent some teeth on my flywheel but they were all perfect. I haven't done any recent mods that would result in this i just put a brand new 6bolt rebuild in that doesn't have any more than maybe 20 miles on it. All help is appreciated i am just out of ideas/things to check out the only thing i haven't really read about was ignition/ignition module.. i checked the fuses and they were fine but i hear something about a module or something on another thread dont quote me on that cant remember if thats what is was called. Sorry for this being a huge run on sentence but i am running out of time cause this is my DD and i need it for work on monday and im just trying to speed up the process and get to the point. Thanks in advance.
- Frustrated DSM'er :confused:

Does it crank or is it no start/no crank? If it wont even crank. Im sure you probably forgot to hook up the ding wire when you put the starter back on. They are a common corrosion spot on the 2gs. Its a smaller wire black w a yellow stripe and it has a connector that corrodes between the starter and harness. Just look below the throttle body and on top of the tranny its a bi*** to find but im sure if it wont crank over this is the prob. If the car is a manual try bypassing the clutch switch. Unhook it from the clutch pedal assembly and put a paper clip between the two terminals

-Kolby

If the car is a manual try bypassing the clutch switch. Unhook it from the clutch pedal assembly and put a paper clip between the two terminals
Wrong. This switch opens when you press the clutch so you just want to unplug it (don't short the terminals). Your starter relay should not be clicking [it only activates (by theft alarm or clutch switch) to disable the starter].

If starter engages, check for spark (long screwdriver in end of plug cable and it's shank within 1/4" of block/head while cranking). If no spark test PT: http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/articles-electrical-wiring/229419-how-test-power-transistors.html

If its turning over but wont catch make sure you have compression, check spark, fuel , and timing.
its got to be one of them:)

Check the CAS, you might need to get a Blacktop CAS for your 6 bolt

i have had a dead battery before and know the no crank click click click click etc.. sound if anyone has ever had this same problem as i am having now i will describe it like this. I turn the car and it just sounds like a hoover vacuum cleaner.. I will record a video tonight because i couldn't figure it out and couldn't go to work today cause of it :ohdamn: Thanks for all the responses

That could only be one thing. The bendix isnt engaging the gear to the full extend of the nosecone and its not catching the flywheel. Try simply tapping the casing of the starter LIGHTLY with a wrench. If you can do this while your buddy turns the key to the crank position. This should get it started then I would recommend replacing it with a new starter.

It could be possible the flywheel or ringgear is missing some teeth but highly unlikely. You can figure this out by placing a wrench or large socket on the harmonic balancer bolt and turning the motor over or removing the upper timing cover and CAREFULLY rotating the engine over with the camshafts. If its the flywheel missing teeth it should go ahead and rotate around and it should start. Unless youve heard alot of grinding etc in the past I would lean towards scenario number #1

-Kolby

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back