1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Car won't start. ### help

Posted by ewyss, Dec 8, 2010

Please Support Southbay Fuel Injectors
Please Support STM Tuned
  1. ewyss

ewyss Proven Member

Joined Aug 12, 2010
    Martinsville, Indiana
    is that all you think it is or do i need to look into other things as well. thanks again for all the help and input, its been extremely helpful

224  0

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    · 1G DSM
  2. Tyeler18

Tyeler18 Proven Member

Joined Dec 16, 2008
    Casa Grande, Arizona
    Well I'd say that for now that is your biggest thing. If you look at the coolant temp table it's pegged at -74 (lowest temp it reads). That's definitely a problem, and seems to be more and more common with people lately. It's just flooding your engine out.

What I'd do is take your battery in and get it charged/warm up for a bit. Go get your new coolant sensor. Disconnect your MPI fuse or injector connector (don't remember on the 2g's off hand how to disconnect fuel), crank the car and get all the fuel out of the engine, then reconnect and try and fire it up.

Also just noticed you're not giving it any throttle when cranking. Get that battery warmed/charged and put your foot about 3/4 down on the gas when cranking.

Drag Race Build 949  1

1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · automatic · 1G DSM

Road Race Build 900  0

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM

Autocross Build 1K  0

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    manual · 2G DSM

Road Race Build 1K  0

1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
    manual · Galant VR-4
    ewyss likes this.
  3. ewyss

ewyss Proven Member

Joined Aug 12, 2010
    Martinsville, Indiana
    ok will do. and do they sell that sensor at like an oreillys or napa or something or do i have to order it online or off of the classifieds. i prefer new parts so classifieds isn't for me

224  0

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    · 1G DSM
  4. Tyeler18

Tyeler18 Proven Member

Joined Dec 16, 2008
    Casa Grande, Arizona

Drag Race Build 949  1

1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · automatic · 1G DSM

Road Race Build 900  0

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM

Autocross Build 1K  0

manual · 2G DSM

Road Race Build 1K  0

manual · Galant VR-4
  5. ewyss

ewyss Proven Member

Joined Aug 12, 2010
    Martinsville, Indiana
    I just ordered the part online because it was only $8 online and $54 at orielly and they even had to order it. when i get that installed ill let you know how it went and post a log thanks.:D

224  0

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    · 1G DSM
  6. 90dsm87

90dsm87 Probationary Member

Joined Mar 22, 2010
    Nashville, Tennessee
    yes it does start better when i give it throttle, when the car is cold it holds idle but it spits and sputters under acceleration, but when its at temp it accelerates fine

117  0

1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    · 1G DSM
  7. Tyeler18

Tyeler18 Proven Member

Joined Dec 16, 2008
    Casa Grande, Arizona
    Sounds like the coolant temp sensor as well. You have some sort of logger?

Drag Race Build 949  1

1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · automatic · 1G DSM

Road Race Build 900  0

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM

Autocross Build 1K  0

manual · 2G DSM

Road Race Build 1K  0

manual · Galant VR-4
  8. 90dsm87

90dsm87 Probationary Member

Joined Mar 22, 2010
    Nashville, Tennessee
    no i dont i wish i had one. also the car has a wondering idle. somtimes it will idle up and down real fast and sometimes it will idle up and down real slow and when it does that the car shuts off. im still not understanding the cranking forever before it starts. like it acts like it wants to start the the whole time its turning over

117  0

1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    · 1G DSM
  9. ewyss

ewyss Proven Member

Joined Aug 12, 2010
    Martinsville, Indiana
    ok so i got the new coolant temp sensor, and i was going to install it when i found the wires to the plug on my original collant temp sensor had come off of the plug i want to know the best way to fix this i heard there are two ways the first is just to ground it to the coolant housing or something like that. and the other is to get a spade connector and reatache the wires. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

224  0

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    · 1G DSM