The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Car Stutters in every gear?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spoolio

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 3, 2003
Port Charlotte, Florida
Well i got this transmission off a guy a month or so back, i finally got it in and as soon as i hit boost the whole car shutters and shakes like crazy, like its slipping or something, but after the car is warmed up and i do a full pulls in 1st it will start to go away in 1st gear, then the same with all the rest, it just seems like even if i hit 5psi it starts shuttering like crazy enough that it makes my windshield wipers go on, but like i said i can just stick it in 1st or 2nd and just WOT untill 6k 2-3 times then it clears up and i am able to do a full pull, or if i gradually give it boost let back a little then WOT again, I have no clue, if someone can shed some light on me that would be great.

Just want to make sure that you had the same spline count output shaft of your tranny (22 or 23) as the one you took out > matched to the transfer case? I've heard that really worn output shafts can be installed into the wrong transfer case (e.g. 23spline in a 22) which would not be so good.

Assuming that is ok..

First, make sure that it's not something stupid you forgot to plug in/connect when you re/re the tranny (guilty of this myself): MAF, Throttle Body connectors, vaccume lines, loose UIP/intake coupler, connector at the thermostat housing.

Second, jack the car up on all four w/stands and measure how far exactly off the floor the clutch pedal is when the wheels start to spin and no throttle given, noting if you feel any drivetrain resistance and that all four wheels are turning :dsm:

Well since i have a FWD which things can i try?, my clutch grabs pretty low, but when i had the tranny out the flywheel and clutch had some surface rust on it, which i didnt take attention to and i installed the tranny back on without cleaning it off. anything i can try with my FWD?

Lol, now i hear this weird metal rattling around at idle, when i rev up, and if i shift at higher rpms you can hear something grinding, i have no clue, maybe its time to rip it back out already?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back