The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

car is spitting and sputtering under full throttle

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

d1prospect

20+ Year Contributor
Mar 14, 2004
Glen Bunie, Maryland
first log. any advice would be greatly appreciated.just really unsure about tune. 2g gsx i'm having some major trouble with car running smoothly.. thanks in advance to everyones input and feedback..

Attachments

• run08272009-1.dat
    40.2 KB · Views: 76
  • run08272009-2.dat
    49.7 KB · Views: 49
Looks like you have some work to do there your going real lean fast

Do you have a 1g Cas? if you do what's your base timing set at?

Wow I just looked at the second log that's scarry pulling to 8k and your W/b is pegged at 18:1!!!

Get your boost down... I hope that boost est. is wrong 36psi? O and hitting 130+ injector duty is a good way to blow up your motor

built 7bolt, not running currently running a wideband. just added a new turbo to my setup. boost is set at 22psi. just decided to make a couple quick pulls on to seek help..

i didn't say built motor asthough it was impervious to danger (jeffreycastgsx). i'm just searching for idea's and help from fellow dsm'rs without a local tuning support..

I must say i hate it when people buy a dsm put a bigger turbo on it and turn up the boost and wonder why they have issues. if you cant a afford the iteams that go along with tunning your new turbo then you shouldnt be running the turbo. your running that car on no fuel and why are you shifting at 8k when you have nothing to mintor a/f or add fuel that high ?

i agree with the above post. you have to have all the peices of the puzzle to try and do what your tryin to do. stock internals can be pushed pretty far but you have to have all suporting mods. you need a full set of bolt ons. and injector duty cycle shouldnt exceed 80% once they get that high its known as pissing. they cant open and close fast enough and do just basically get stuck open. you might think that under such load that gas would get burned any way but i doesnt work like that. not every piston fires at the same time theyre taking turns on compressing that air and fuel and when one piston isnt in its fire mode and you have a injector on top just pissing, it can wash away the oil. the oil is what fills the gap in the bearings and provides a smooth stable surface for the piston to travle aginst as its being forced up and down under crazzy amounts of compression. if that oil gets washed away you got metal to metal contact and thats a killer. not to mention excessive fuel in your oil is super hard on your bearings. when fuel isnt being burned like its intended its a solvent, do you really want a detergant in your oil?get the boost down and get those injectors to SLOW down. you might regret doin those pulls later after you learn the hard way

the only piece i'm currently missing is a wideband. the link shows my boost high. my gauge read 15psi. as for learning the hard way well, it is what is. i'm just learning this game i don't have stock internals nor am i just throwing big boost. agree with post above sure but i am not nieve to think whats happening is a good thing or i wouldn't have reached out for help.

sorry shoulda read your specs before replying. thats good that you do understand that much duty cycle is not a good thing. ive seen so many people on here post and then have a dsm scientist awsner respectfully and totally explain why "its a bad idea" and then the person who orginally posted the question just responds back with a "oh your wrong im gonna do it any way" wow those are dumb. i dont think youd respond like that after reading your profile. but yeah the learning curve can be long and frusterating. ive been a dsm guy for 8 years now. i attended columbia basin college for automotive technoligy, i work as a mechanic by trade, and im still learning! most of us are and its step one to admit that your still a learner. that good attitude is what gets you sincere help from the experts. keep on rockin man! and watch those IDC levels

are you for real man, always a game. if something happens i'll fix it plain an simple. also this is my account i just don't use it. its a game respect every aspect of. i'm not a tuner at all mechanics i can handle swell. as i said before without any tuning support i'm just reaching out. you have two options give advice or don't. i don't need critism..

No I'm a machine;)

Wtf is this shit it's not my fault that you think its a game

Blow your shit up & fix it Either way I don't think your gonna get to far with this shit,
your acting like everyone is just gonna come in tell you O do this it's what you need to do to make your tune prefect. ... I think that being into Dsms that long if you can't figure out how to tune your car with ECMlink that you have no business trying to tune it yourself,I could relay give a $hit less if you don't need the :tease:criticism. If you didn't you wouldn't have posted up a log with you Mashing on it to 8k @ 145 IDC with no wideband

i never bitched about anything first off mf'r. i never came in here with the intention of a miracle cure either. i merely said first log trying to figure out a problem. just as i told the mfr the 8k thing was an sccident now you matt from va mr commonwealth have an option. make a comment about the log tell i f'd up and fix it. i'll take that on the chin and try again. as for blowing something up. it is what it is. i'll buy another one :f-u:

If you going to continue to post please use this ieSpell - Download
I'm not an??? he's not a ??? we're just speaking the truth
I thought you said "mechanics i can handle swell" Now you'll just buy another one?
I've met alot of people that where like that blow three-four motors up then finally have the common sense to get it tuned by someone that new what they were doing before going out and roding on there Car

my grammar i correct sir or ma'am,and as i stated before. if it happens it just happens. can it be prevented of course. i have no local tune support so as i previously stated i tried something. now if the oppotunity presents itself for a local shop, that'll be the resolution..and another r&d, trials and tribulations all come with knowledge. so now with that log and advice i know it was way off and to do something else.. thank you

I have no local tune support so as i previously stated i tried something. now if the oppotunity presents itself for a local shop, that'll be the resolution..

If you do give up on trying to do it yourself

A few min on Goggle netted me this from your general area

BrooksTuned,BrooksTuning,AEM, Brad Brooks, Trigger discs,4g63, 1000hp,EMS,Tuning,Best
Infinite Speed & Performance Online Store
Home - Absolute PROformance
Swift Racing Technologies - Home
Or post up in the regional section and ask for recommendations Tri State DSM Club - DSMtuners

IMHO I'd go with a Lc-1 and ALOT bigger injectors

oh dude! that red and black eclipse that is the brooks tuned dsm is the sickest car on here. hands down! his car is so business. any one can take notes and advice from this guy. hes the man. wanna see the sickest of sick? go to you tube video seach for 1000awhp. youll see this street machine lay down the unreal power. sorry that post was off topic but the brooks tuned got mentioned and i flipped

K aside from the misplaced bitching. I have plenty of questions. As I can't pull up the logs.

1. What size injectors are you running?
2. Model of turbo?
3. A COMPLETE LIST of modifications would be nice.
4. 145% IDC is beyond ridiculous. Sounds like you've got a hefty turbo with some 450s honestly.

I could go on forever with questions but your description of your cars performance is very vague. Hence why you receive vague answers/remarks.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back