The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Car dies when clutch is not engaged

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1991_talon

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 25, 2010
Connersville, Indiana
So my car will not run unless my foot is on the clutch, if I put my car in neutral and turn it on with the clutch engaged it dies right away. When I try to take off it dies as soon as it launches (when I let my foot off the clutch in 1st). Any ideas on what is causing this?

Yes I checked and my mechanic looked as well before he towed it for me.

:hmm: didnt try rolling it in first, will give it a shot.

Also I have noticed my short throw doesnt go through gears as smoothly, no grinding just takes more pressure than it ussally does.

Sounds like when my TOB went out, but doesn't sound liek that could be the issue since it was replaced with the new clutch and isn't squealing with the clutch in.

Did you replace all the clutch components when you did the change? TOB, Shift fork, etc etc?

Definetly sounds like something in the clutch is binding up and it isn't coming fully engaged, which is why you would have a harder time shifting into gears.. Is the engagement point in the pedal really really low to the ground? It could be as simple as needing a pedal adjustment.

No the engagement was fine and I changed everything except I had a stage 4 clutch in the car originally so I kept the fidanza flywheel and put in an oem clutch. It seems to me like it is stuck in gear.

Did you get the flywheel stepped to the spec of the clutch?? Also check to make sure there are no kinks or dramatic twists in the shifter cables..

Edit:

If you feel it may be binding.. Try running through the gears with the shifting arms on the transmission itself.. Do they go into gear easily? This is a good way to verify..

If they run through gears easily it will be linkage or shift assembly..

If it still feels like it is stuck/binding... Well... you could be safe to say it's something to do with the transmission itself.

Last edited:
I still have the gears and what not from my old transmission so it should not be a problem fixing it, just have to figure out the problem. If given the opportunity to try these tests I will thanks.

I'm having this exact issue in my car pretty much...haven't looked TOO far into it but if and when you figure it out please let us know your solution as I'm super curious and absolutely fed up with my transmission in the first place...I personally thing its a linkage or adjustment issue but just haven't dug into yet seeing as my car also has other issues that trump this at the moment LOL:confused::barf:

I'm having this exact issue in my car pretty much...haven't looked TOO far into it but if and when you figure it out please let us know your solution as I'm super curious and absolutely fed up with my transmission in the first place...I personally thing its a linkage or adjustment issue but just haven't dug into yet seeing as my car also has other issues that trump this at the moment LOL:confused::barf:

It was my forks in the transmission. Your linkage could also be an issue, but I would definitely see if you cant take a look at your tranny or have it rebuilt.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back