The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Car died while driving

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boostedB

Probationary Member
Mar 3, 2007
San Jose, California
So a few weeks ago I'm cruising down bailey ave and all of a sudden my tach drops to 0 and my car starts slowing down like I ran out of gas even though I have half a tank.
The engine then shuts off and I loose my power steering.
I get out checked for any leaks and everything looks fine.

To make a long story short my mechanic said he thinks its the ignition coil and control module. After getting him the parts he now says that only 2 cylinders are firing now instead of one. He mentioned that he found a CAS sensor at a pick and pull and that might fix it.

My previous problem with this car was a shorted alternator so I'm thinking this might have caused a lot of other electronics to slowly die. What else should he be looking at?

The mechanic I use is John's Automotive on Curtner ave near hwy 17.

I have had something similar happen to my car with its original setup. I would be driving and I would go to turn and all the lights on the dash would flicker and then the car would shut off.

Something happened at the end of a long road trip and that happened for what seemed no reason. I later found out my alternator started crapping out and it eventually died.

After I changed out my alternator, that never happened again.

Yes I also had similar symptoms before my alternator stopped working.

When you turn they key do all the dash lights come on, and can you crank the engine over ?

it almost sounds like the ecu fried, i had a simaliar thing happen with my buick. I had to replace the ecu.

My lights come on like when you start up your car. It almost seems like some kind of power surge. My ecu didn't have any problems that I knew of. Several months after I got Dsmlink installed and everything worked fine.

But, I am not sure if this is the same case for boostedB. It sounds like it though.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back