The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

can a faulty TPS cause excessive oil consumption?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

air23cary

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 20, 2004
west orange, New_Jersey
ive had this car since august........a month into it by oil pressure was very low and we found out the car had very little oil in it..........filled it up, and pressure was great.........2000-3000 miles later, oil pressure starts to drop again, below normal levels.........measured the oil, and was 1.5 quarts short.....topped it off, and again, pressure was great. why am i burning oil? i have no visible leaks.........i did get a diagnostic done last week for something else and found out i have a faulty throttle position sensor.........could this be a cause for my bad oil consumption? im pretty sure the bad TPS is whats causing my misfire at high rpms and overall sluggishness of the car, so im wondering if it could be the culprit for the oil too. someone told me i could have a bad oil pressure switch would could be leaking oil or something while im driving which is why i cant find any leaks. what do you guys think?

A bad TPS will make the car buck and run poorly but it isn't going to make it burn oil.
Check your compression and replace your PVC valve. If you not leaking it you must be burning it.

Steve

my compression is very good, between 165-170 on all 4 cylinders. what should i do next?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back