The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Buying Used Head

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hocka09

10+ Year Contributor
Aug 8, 2010
Macomb, Michigan
Hey guys,

I'm going to go look at a used head tomorrow night after work and I was hoping I could get some tips as to what to look for when accessing the head. The seller claims it is perfectly fine and came off a running 2g tsi but I just want to make sure.

I ultimately plan to send this head out to get rebuilt in a few weeks by force engineering in plainwell, MI, so I want to basically make sure I can fulfill the core requirements and not require more than average work/labor.

Absolutely any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!

Buy it and just have it rebuilt right, once they get it will be a rebuilt head, no worries. Seller claims its perfect well that wont matter once it goes to be rebuilt right, they will do what it needs to meet specs, and thats about it, price will depend on them and what you want done, i wouldnt worry about labor costs if its getting redone.

Good points you have there.

I guess I'm more looking to make sure the valves are all good and that the head gasket didn't blow on this head or anything. Essentially just stuff that would make it difficult for a shop to rebuild. Is there a way to check valves? I know that it may not be entirely obvious if a valve is bent or slightly nicked sometimes.

The guy is asking 100 for the head with cams and everything and an intake manifold. Honestly it seems to be a killer deal so I'll probably just go for it anyways.

By the way, I noticed you are from the west side...do you know much about force engineering? I have seen good things online but not talked directly with anyone who has dealt with them.

Check the combustion area to make sure there's no cracks. And look at the valves and make sure they look like there seated tight. Usually a bent valve you can tell by it sitting unevenly on the seat. As far as if a head gasket blew, even if the head warped it can be planned out, but if you really want to check get a good metal straight edge and lay it on its side diagonally across the surface of the head. Of course just check to make sure everything is there and in its rightful place.

Yes i know john he knows his stuff, youll be happy when you get it back.

That's just what I wanted to hear. Thanks!

Check the combustion area to make sure there's no cracks. And look at the valves and make sure they look like there seated tight. Usually a bent valve you can tell by it sitting unevenly on the seat. As far as if a head gasket blew, even if the head warped it can be planned out, but if you really want to check get a good metal straight edge and lay it on its side diagonally across the surface of the head. Of course just check to make sure everything is there and in its rightful place.

Yeah, I actually talked to my dad about that and he had the same answer. I will be sure to bring a straight edge to try to check that. I'm not too concerned at this point now.

Thank you for the replies everyone. Feel free to add anything else so others can benefit from this thread in the future.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back