The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Buying used turbos

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2gGSX

15+ Year Contributor
Feb 15, 2004
St. Louis, Missouri
I was wondering how many of you are running a used turbo bought off of trader, the classifieds or someone locally.
It's sort of hard throwing money to someone's promises that there's "no shaftplay" or "in excellent condition"

fo0k that.. buy used and take a chance.. spend that extra 200 or so and make sure it's new..

i dont think it's really quite that hard to pick which one is better. unless you go inspect the turbo IN PERSON. trust me, i've been down the same road..

450 down the drain with a b16g with crazy shaft play [ ad said little play ]; if i had known then, i would have happily paid the difference for the 700 dollar b16g i had to buy ANYWAY :rolleyes:

goodluck

Yeah, buying anything without seeing it in person is pretty risky but it is up to you. I am buying one from a guy on the east coast and unfortunately, he is taking his time. He is getting the turbo inspected though and I did buy something from him before, so he is good.

Sorry for the stupid off-topic question, but how is shaft play measured? Is it when the compressor wheel moves in and out? Thanks.

put your hand on the center of the compressor wheel. wiggle the shaft up and down and left and right. it SHOULD move slightly. you know its bad when the wheel starts hitting the compressor housing... in which case my old one did :cry:

do yourself and everyone a favor and just get a new one that way we won't hear about you crying that someone jipped you......

I don't know...I bought a 16g off the trader and it turned out to be in perfect condition. I've also sold a 14b on the trader that was fine. There are definitely good deals out there. Just do some research. Chances are if they are members here with posts or are otherwise involved with the community theyre alright.

On a side note...im really disagreeing with everyone today!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back