The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Burning oil with NEW motor???

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hmong_1G

Probationary Member
Feb 16, 2008
City of Trees-NORCAL, California
Ok guys I have a really heart breaking problem. My Brand new rebuilt motor is burning blue smoke. This is at idle and upon driving disappears. Only when I come to a stop light for more than 15 sec does it start smoking again. What I have here is a motor that was properly broken in with about 187 miles already. The motor has great compression and runs like a champ.

First initial thoughts was bad turbo. I have already gone through 2 14B's and a S16G with the same ill effects. So it can't be the turbo like the machine shop says. All exhaust piping doesn't have any oil coats inside. X that out. Only thing I can come up with now is internal. I have looked around and read many threads concerning similar symptoms. Looks like either the valve stem seals or piston rings. The shop recommended me to run Rotela 15w40 heavy duty oil. After 20-30 miles I have already drained that out and put in fresh oil ( same Rotela)

This is what is put into the motor-
Cometic MLS .51
Ross Pistons with Ross supplied rings
Brand new top end with Viton valve seals and new guides

These are the only pieces that I believe can have such symptoms. I did after a good drive; parked the vehicle and pulled all the four spark plugs. The plugs look like they are burning oil ( not heavy oil, but enough to notcie a glaze coating). Look into the piston top through the spark plug opening, all four pistons have a decent oil coat. Is this normal on a brand new motor? Did they not install the valve seals or rings right?:cry:

HELP.:sosad:

I don't have the proper tools yet to do a leak down test. I might just take it to the shop where I had the motor rebuilt for them to do it. I'm really tired of this. 2 months into waiting for the motor, and this happens.

Im bettin its a valve stem seal. Pistons rings usually smoke ALL the time.

I sure hope so bro. I think they rather do valve seals then tear the rings out. I mean in all honesty, the car runs great. Boost fine with no miss or hesitation.

I just remember. The first shop that initially took my block apart lost my valve stem seals. They gave me some ( looked identical). Same Viton, but could they have gave me wrong ones? The shop rebuild my motor was the second one. I gave them what the first shop gave me. Could there be differences in valve seals?

I hope its valve seals, as these are much more easier to get too.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back