The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

General Burning EEPROM chips

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfdid

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 18, 2003
Calgary, Alberta_Canada
Hey guys, I was looking into the DSMLink, but I figured it would be cheaper and perhaps I'd have a bit more control if I just burned the chips myself.

What kind of chip burner do I need: Make/Model etc.
Will any Hex editor work?

Thanks a lot.

buy a dsmlink.... it does so much more... you can datalog (which you're going to need to do when you tune) you can adjust things on the fly... you don't have to burn a new chip, hope it works, test it, burn another, change something else and burn another.... I realize that you can reflash eproms over and again, but it's much easier to just adjust a couple settings on the laptop you have plugged in to your car... really a better option.

I bought a burner off ebay from hong kong for 50$. I use XVI32 to edit the hex, but there is a program called Evilscribe that will make editing the fuel and timing table like using an excel spreadsheet.

Get a 29SF256 chip and you can rewrite it in less than a minute.

FireyIce01 said:
but it's much easier to just adjust a couple settings on the laptop you have plugged in to your car...

You can use a rom emulator and edit all the maps from a laptop plugged into the car. No need to burn a new chip every time.

I know a certain model of 3com network card($10) can be used to burn eproms for DSM if you have the right software. I don't have much more information than that anymore...and I don't have the time to find it all again..I just know it can be done for sure.

danl said:
www.moates.net is the most convient place to pick up the solder in sockets, low profile zif sockets, amtel 29c256 EEPROM chips, and a $80 USB burner with free software and doesen't need an external power supply. You can also pick up an ostrich if you want to burn with the car running.

If you dont want to edit hex, get evilscribe. Any hex editor will work though.

I borrow my friends moates burner and have spent like $100... $50 for used logger, maybe $50 for 3 chips and a couple sockets.
$500 for dsmlink? why spend that if you arent afraid to do a little hex editing?

My chip features:

Extended Timing and Fuel Maps
I can/did change
Fuel
Timing
Rev Limit
Studder Box
Idle
Injector Compensation
Maf Compensation
Pulse Width Cap Removal
Fuel Cut Removal

Do it your self chip editing :thumb:

I like this idea - considering I'm gonna have a computer in my car anyway, integrating a ROM burner is a pretty good idea. Although I think I have the schematics for a 29c256 ROM burner here. I'll just build one.

Gigaah said:
I know a certain model of 3com network card($10) can be used to burn eproms for DSM if you have the right software.
Not quite accurate: you can write flash chips, but burning still requires a proper EPROM burner (you could say I'm arguing semantics here, but it does actually make a difference). You're probably thinking of my old write-up on flashing: http://esm.logic.net/public/dsm/ecu-flashing.html

Yeah, thats pretty much what I read.Though I got the info the DSM dissembly project yahoo group thing. To the average joe flashing a chip and burning an eprom are the same thing they both get you where your headed and end up with a product that replaces the memory chip containing the ecu program.
I know you can use the flash chips over and over. I would imagine you can get EEPROM and do the same if you choose the other route? Its been so long since I've looked into it. But I need to start gathering information myself really...I'll get doing up chips for a new DSM I'm trying to find(sneaky things are hard to get ahold of sometimes).

By the way, thanks for that write up. I don't know how long ago your wrote it but its been helpfull. Is there any windows based programs that'll do the same? I might be able to get away with just using knoppix to do that and not installing linux back onto my server but windows would be much easier.

Gigaah said:
Is there any windows based programs that'll do the same? I might be able to get away with just using knoppix to do that and not installing linux back onto my server but windows would be much easier.
People still run Windows? ;)

Seriously, I remember a discussion on dsm-ecu a few months ago regarding a Windows replacement for what I'm doing with vortex-diag (ah, found it: it was a program called "uniflash", but noone confirmed whether it worked or not), but honestly, TunerPro RT and Ostrich appear to be the better way to do things these days, if you're just getting started: it's hard to beat real-time changes.

Well, I've got mine working, but I don't have an EPROM ECU to test it with yet :p
I'm thinking about converting mine to an EPROM, but I've got way too many other things to do right now to fool with it.
I've been looking at the code for the TMO Stage 3 chip, and I've figured out how to mod it for larger injectors, etc. Like you would the stock code. More to come when I find an EPROM ECU :)

Gigaah said:
I know you can use the flash chips over and over. I would imagine you can get EEPROM and do the same if you choose the other route? Its been so long since I've looked into it. But I need to start gathering information myself really.

Flash memory is a type of EEPROM.
You use UV light to erase most EPROMS, if you bought the ones with the quartz window to allow erasing. There are what's called OTP EPROMs. Interesting concept :) Those are EPROMs in a package without the window to erase them, so if you make a mistake you toss them.

ROM = Read Only Memory
PROM = Programmable ROM
EPROM = Erasable PROM
EEPROM = Electrically Erasable PROM

Steve

I have been searching, but have come up empty-handed for anything 2g related to burning my own chips. I have a eprom '95, and i would like to burn my own chips... any info anywhere? maybe Logic known something because he owns a 2g?

As far as I know The vast majority of the work done to disassembly DSM ecus(other than stuff like DSM link and others) is 1G mainly because at the time DSM link wasn't availible for 1G. I've not see any good 2G information, but that don't mean it doesn't exist.

And explanation of things in the 2G code (injector size location, fuel cut, etc, etc) is, in my experience, like Sasquatch or Nessie. A lot of people claim to have seen it but can't provide proof :D

Actually, there's more proof of nessie and the sasquatch (in photos) than explanations of the 2g ecu code.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back