The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Rix Racing

General Will some one please help get started on Burning 1G EPROM Chips?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ezz-e

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 4, 2007
holyoke, Massachusetts
I was hoping some one would share some info to a beginner on getting started with trying to tune with a e-prom burner. I am very new at it but i hear that it is not that hard to learn. I have a key driver chip in the car right now but im getting some new things done to the car and i will need to upgrade my tune to match some 750cc injectors. I have a eprom burner and chips in my possession all ready so i would really need help on what programs to use and how to start off

There's a couple websites worth checking out. The yahoo dsm-ecu group would be one of them. Tons of information and files to download. I'd recommend looking into Tunerpro and downloading the xdf definition file and the E931 code base from the yahoo group to do your updates. I've just started using it (used to use just a hex editor) and it's pretty nice and easy to use.

Another site worth checking out is ds-map.net. They do the speed density conversion for the 1gs. You'll have to get a few more components before you go that route (harness, moates ostrich, IAT sensor, GM 3-bar sensor, etc), but still something to possibly plan for down the road.

You have to select the xdf file to use (should be e931stk.xdf from the yahoo group). This will load the panel on the left with the location of the fuel/timing maps and everything else you'd want to change. Then open a bin (like the e931.bin from the yahoo group) and then double click on something in the left panel. Bring up something like the rev limit. It should say 7500. If not, you may need to adjust the xdf file for the proper bin size that you're using.

Look under Files - 1g - Tunerpro.

I just used this xdf and the E931 bin. The E931 bin is under official releases - 1g - standard E931. Then just download the 16k file and you should be good to go.

You can do hex edits in Tunerpro when you're more comfortable to integrate stuff like stutterbox and extended maps, etc. That info can be found here: Welcome!

Thanks that got me started. Now i had a few questions on some of the settings i wanted to get into my chip. Well i am running a E943 gvr4 eprom so im not sure if the codes are the same but I want my chip to have the Knock sum gauge. Stutterbox RPM Range set to 5,500rpm. I got on Idea of how to set the Injector Size Adjustment but what do i do for the dead time im going to be running 780cc injectors. Now i was really wondering how i set my MAS Compensation when using a MAF-T setup. Also some one had metion to me once about a phantom knock code that would relly come handy for me since i have solid metal motor mounts. Also i was looking at the High-Speed Closed Loop feature and i was wondering if there was a way to change the activation point of it to 70 mph. Also is there a code that can be set to activate nitrous control i was hoping to use it to activate a water injection kit i was hoping to install. Thanks for any feed back im really new at this hex editing stuff i dont really get it that well but hopefully some one will set me in the right paths..

A lot of this information is in there, you just have to search for it. I know, lame answer. I keep forgetting you have a GVR4, but you'll want to start from your E943 gvr4 code base instead of the e931 I mentioned. There are some differences with the boost gauge and the mas compensation because of the missing honeycomb on the gvr4s.

The GVR4 knock gauge will be a little different because of the leds and one more position than the TELs. This information is in the dsm-ecu group. Just search for knock gauge or something like that.

The injector deadtime will depend on the manufacturer. The DSMLink instructions have a good table that shows typical deadtimes for most of the injectors DSMers use. I'd start with that if you can find the info. I'm sure it's in the dsm-ecu group and also probably on here somewhere.

The stutterbox info is on the page I linked to in my last post.

The mas compensation I have no idea. I'd imagine it would involve reading a wideband while you're at the particular Hz columns in the mas compensation table, but I'm not sure.

The phantom knock code is also in the dsm-ecu group posts.

The high speed closed loop is not speed related, but instead airflow/tps vs rpm. I changed the tps one at 4000 rpm to 70h and the 4500 rpm one to 68h (right click on the table and check "show raw hex" to input the hex numbers). I changed the airflow 4500rpm setpoint to 70h. These seem to work pretty well for me. I didn't feel the need to do the 5krpm since I don't usually cruise that fast on the highway.

Nitrous control can be done by triggering one of the extra solenoids. There's information in the dsm-ecu group, but I've not done any of that code yet. There's a lot of information in there, it's just a matter of getting a little more comfortable with it.

Hope some of this helps.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back