The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Buildup Questions for 150 to 200 shot.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Traumatique

Probationary Member
Mar 8, 2004
Brighton, Michigan
First of all, I'm the previous owner of 3 DSM's, all Turbo, 2 AWD. I've since moved on and 'grown up' so I thought and moved onto a Non-Turbo FWD 2g with a 420a. I'm quite happy to keep my same interior and exterior styling and even more happy with my Lower insurance, but frankly I've found I'm not ready for a N/A commuter yet. --- But instead of doing the norm and bolting on a turbo kit, or transplanting yet another 1g motor into a 2g car (fun crankwalk on the 2nd AWD Turbo 2g, wooo) I wanted to do something a little different, and a little more of a learning experience for myself.

Being that one of the two AWD Turbo cars was deep into the 12's, I'm quite used to and happy with HP over the 300hp range. I wanted to accomplish this on a 420a, but only use nitrous.

I'm not completely new to Nitrous, but I am new to this much of a shot, and still new to the 420a. I was wondering specifically, internals and all, I would be looking at to build the car up for this kind of acheivement. I did searches and all I can find are 50-75 shot buildups, or a large shot question followed by 12 posts of "Go buy a turbo".

I'm assumeing many forged internals (Pistons, rods, crank), fuel upgrades (injectors, rail, regulator, pump), the normal I/H/E, s-AFC at the least, more then likely a more in-depth management system. But as for specifics, I'm not too sure. If anyone can help me out, or just point me directly to a website or other member that has done the same feat, please let me know.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

I've already gone to 2gnt. Besides from having a confusing ass bulliten board system, and a weird search function... they're not allowing new users to register at the moment. So I'm sorta out of luck asking there.

I'm ASSUMEING since 75 shots and 100 shots aren't uncommon on the 420a motor that's basically stock internals, there shouldn't be much of a problem if I get all forged internals, overbored pistons, a direct port system, supporting fuel system, cams, and perhaps larger exhaust valves to deal with such a gigantic and sudden increase in HP. Again I was just looking to get some general information if anyone had any on such a large system, but if I get very serious I'll probably goto a few local shops to see if anyone has a lot of experience with Nitrous systems.

hahn racecraft is in the 10s (9s with the neon) with the 420a motor

you will have to build - JE pistons, Eagle Rods, and some headwork to keep it together.

Fueling and timing are key factors with nitrous - if AEM makes a unit for the non-turbo cars buy it. If not Tec3 or Haltech or SDS etc should be purchased to handle your engine operations.

As for the nitrous - a 4 fogger system is what you are going to be looking at.

It is just like going turbo but different. Be prepared to change sparkplugs.

I know of a couple of Hondas running around with a 200 shot and one VR6 with 200 - it can and has been done but for a motor like that you will have just as much money into it as a turbo car.

Good luck.

Thank you much for the reply.

Yeah, well like I said before I'm not doing this to save money. I got rid of the turbo cars cause I thought I was done with having a fun weekend car but decided otherwise. Not trying to go the cheap route, just trying to go the road less taken, learn more, and have fun.

That's the entire premiss behind any car you tune for power, isn't it? =)

You will spend more money than is prudent on a naturally aspirated 4 cylinder. I would honestly rethink your plans. Do a 6 bolt swap if you are THAT concerned with crankwalk.

Regards,

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back