1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Building a heim joint shifter

Posted by pagosa dsm, Jun 1, 2007

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI
  1. pagosa dsm

pagosa dsm Proven Member

Joined May 7, 2005
    pagosa springs, Colorado
    The factory shift cable ends are sloppy plastic pieces. I replaced them with studded heim joints and have much better feel in my shifter now.

Tools needed:
    6x1mm left handed tap & drill bit to match
    5/16x24 right fine tap & drill bit to match

Parts needed:

two 5/16 heims with studs
    two lengths of half inch rolled steel

The build is fairly easy.

First I measured the length of the factory connector and cut the bar to match.

Then I drilled the center all the way through with the smaller bit.

Next I flipped the bar around and drilled half way in with the larger bit. This ensured that the holes lined up properly.

Tap both holes with the correct tap.

You will also have to cut the old studs off your shifter assembly and drill out the holes with a 5/16 bit. Alternatively, if you have a forged shifter you can drill and tap the holes to match the 5/16 studs on the heim joints.
    5-10-07 025.jpg

After that, just put it all together and adjust your cables as needed.
    5-10-07 026.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2014

4K  32

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    12.084 @ 118.930 · 1G DSM
    Marcel likes this.