The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

Make a Oil Catch can Out of a Stock Power Steering Resivior

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This is what happens when a DSM'rs waiting for parts and has a few spare parts lying around.
I made a Oil catch can out of a spare Power Steering Resivior. It was EASY and Didnt cost More than $20 Bucks! Assuming you have a spare Resivior it is SUPER cheap!

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Ok what you need For parts:
1x1g Power steering Resivior ( dont know if 2g is the same ) = PSR
1xEach Same size rubber hose that attaches to both sides of PSR 2 Feet of each was PLENTY!
**I dont know the sizes sorry!**
1xSteel Tire Valve stem *REMOVE THE CORE*
1xExpanding rubber plug 3/4 - 7/8

4xHose clamps *user preference*
2xStock Mitsu Screw's *I used ones outa the dash panels*

Tools:
Only what you need to Remove upper pipe and a couple of drill bits to tap holes for screws and to drill out hole for valve stem, and bolt on valve stem and tighten rubber plug.
If you cant figure these out the do not attempt this install NOOB!

Step #1 Remove filter element out of PSR, Use a Drill bit to drill a whole in top of PSR right next to the fill hole on top of PSR. Make the hole just big enough for the Valve stem to fit into and bolt down making a air tight seal. Remove core of valve stem and rinse out PSR after drilling out to remove any metal shavings!!!!!!

Note: Must be on the same side as the stock Mounting bracket

Step #2 This was Kinda hard but Will be EASY with a Good bench vice. Place PSR firmly into a Bench vice, Take the Rubber plug and put it about halfway into the fill hole of PSR,
Use a Adjustable pliers to hold the plug from spinning in place ( I pre Tightend mine so it was just able to put into hole without alot of slack ) and tighten down till sealed firmly with wrench or Socket.

Note: Your basicly trying to plug the hole so its air tight, I also thought about Silicone the stock Dipstick / cap into place but you would need to mount the valve stem more to the side of the PSR to do so.

I NEED A BENCH VICE!!!

Step #3 Mounting and running Rubber hose. This is by far too easy, I used the stock bracket for the Hard Clutch line, since I removed whatever use to bolt to the top of it.
Place the PSR in place mark holes and Drill small pilot holes for the screws and then mount the PSR in place.
Run top hose to Valve cover, Run bottom hose to Intake. Put car back together and DONE!!!!!!
NOW YOU HAVE A OIL CATCH CAN that could pass for ORIGINAL MITSU.
Basicly what you are gonna do is Invert your PSR (mount Upside down) and mount it to the bracket that use to bolt to the stock Intake/ Its also where the hard line for the clutch is mounted.

Im gonna remove mine an Re paint it and put a "Oil Brand" sticker on it to make it Trick. When you want to drain it Remove the Valve stem cap and catch it with a small cup or whatever you figure out. Its very easy to do from bottom or top of the car with all parts in place.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back