The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Budget EPROM

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

architechnik

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 21, 2007
Glad, Oregon
Any suggestions on finding an eprom setup for a 1G?

I've been thinking of taking my ECU down to an electronics repair shop and having them soldering up a socket. Working on a tight budget, so each bit helps.
Which chips/sockets are suggested?
(Currently looking at http://www.moates.net based on previous posts.)

I'm planning on using TunerPro or similar program on a laptop in conjunction with a pocketlogger for continued tracking.

This might sound stupid, but does the chip get flashed through the same logging cable or is there a separate, on-board pin plug (as where for many older computers)?

(Unfortunately I live in an area where there aren't many people who go into anything beyond muscle cars or cheap, loud ricers, so I don't have anyone I can reference nearby.)

Any suggestions on finding an eprom setup for a 1G?

I've been thinking of taking my ECU down to an electronics repair shop and having them soldering up the pin jack. Working on a tight budget, so each bit helps.
Which chips are suggested?

I'm planning on using TunerPro or similar program on a laptop in conjunction with a pocketlogger for continued tracking.

This might sound stupid, but does the chip get flashed through the same logging cable or is there a separate, on-board pin plug (as where for many older computers)?

(Unfortunately I live in an area where there aren't many people who go into anything beyond muscle cars or cheap, loud ricers, so I don't have anyone I can reference nearby.)

Just do dsmlink, $600 for it and you can do almost everything, just have the shop solder in a socket so the eprom can be put back in till you get dsmlink and then you can just pull the eprom out later.

IF YOU DO THIS PLEASE SAVE THE EPROM CHIP, HAVE THEM UNSOLDER IT FROM THE BOARD, I AM LOOKING FOR ONE BAD

Most places are $50-150 for just that then each time you do a bigger injector, intake, cams, etc you will have to rechip it so if you go dsm link it will be 600 but you will never have to rechip the thing you just have to go in to the setting on it and type in the mods you have done.

The current one isn't an EPROM board, so I don't know if you'd be able to re-flash the chip or not.

I'm not completely familiar with the specs of the stock chips. If I could flash it, then shouldn't I be able to flash it where it is currently?

Or are you just looking for a stock chip?

Most places are $50-150 for just that then each time you do a bigger injector, intake, cams, etc you will have to rechip it so if you go dsm link it will be 600 but you will never have to rechip the thing you just have to go in to the setting on it and type in the mods you have done.

Oh, so the chips can't be respec'ed? I thought they could be flashed again and again like a computer's bios.

Non eprom boards can't be reflashed as car as i know. Which is why everyone buys an eprom board.

I also don't think you can turn an non eprom board into an eprom board. You need one thats already set up as such to be able to socket it.

This is the setup/combo I was hoping for, but I needed to make sure all this would work for a 1G ('94) GSX.

http://www.moates.net/product_info.php?cPath=51&products_id=48
http://www.moates.net/product_info.php?cPath=26&products_id=39
http://www.moates.net/product_info.php?cPath=26&products_id=44

I figure I would get two or three chips and switch them out as I get it more to my liking.

Total is around $110 for the parts.

So the EPROM is more than just a chip that can be flashed and the removable socketing?

EDIT: Does anyone have the tech documents for the EPROM board compared to the non-EPROM? (Maybe I can get together an adapter schematic.)

staticbrainwash said:
I don't think so. You need an awd turbo eprom from 91-94.

Manual or auto is up to your drivetrain.

schoffs4 said:
Auto and 5 speed are diff. AWD and FWD you can use
Sorry guys your both off target.

If your going to be making your own software (or DSMlink) the ECU just has to be a turbo EPROM one.

You can use either the classic UV erasable 27 series EPROM or a compatible 29 series flash memory part in the ECU to hold your new software.

Steve

Actually Jeff at dsmchips.com only charges $20 for each reflash if you return the old chip. He will send the new chip to you then you send the old one back so there will be no downtime. Good guy to deal with, he does awesome turnaround work.

Just do dsmlink, $600 for it and you can do almost everything, just have the shop solder in a socket so the eprom can be put back in till you get dsmlink and then you can just pull the eprom out later.

IF YOU DO THIS PLEASE SAVE THE EPROM CHIP, HAVE THEM UNSOLDER IT FROM THE BOARD, I AM LOOKING FOR ONE BAD

You can get link for $510-525 shipped new not 600 just to clarify. I paid $515 shipped for mine from a vendor here.

Sorry guys your both off target.

If your going to be making your own software (or DSMlink) the ECU just has to be a turbo EPROM one.

You can use either the classic UV erasable 27 series EPROM or a compatible 29 series flash memory part in the ECU to hold your new software.

Steve

Right, i guess it doesn't matter, but it still doesn't make sense. Because it sounds like he is trying to reflash the whole ecu . And we can't, we need the chip to flash. So, i was just telling him to run a stock chip or eprom, he'd need whatever corresponds to his car within those given years.

But if he's just going to get an eprom, and immediately get it socketed and flashed then yeah, a/t or m/t doesn't matter. Though, i hear the a/t's have something built into them that helps with fuel trims on an a/t shift. Dunno how much water that holds though.

There isn't anything special about the AT ECU board. It's the same board but with different software and uses an input to sense the park/neutral switch that is grounded on the MT harness. That input is used on mod chips (TMO, Jeffs and mine) to sense the clutch safety switch. Depending on Fed vs CA or FWD vs AWD there will be different resistors at R129 and R130 but thats not different between AT or MT boards..

Technically you can't flash a 1G ECU but you can use a flash chip in the EPROM socket and program it externally. Programming a EPROM is called burning it and dates back to the original fuse ROM chips where the programmer burned out the fuses to make 1s and 0s. The Burn1 and chips he linked to are the programmer and flash memory chip to reprogram the ECU software, just like using a EPROM and EPROM programmer.

Flashing refers to programming various types of EEPROM and more specifically flash memory usually embedded inside the CPU chip itself.

As Steve noted, I'm looking for a way to keep "burning" chips to install as I make modifications to the car. I figure it's the closest way to tune the electronics part without using a real time emulator or a preset.

Flashing a replaceable chip uses a small socket that hooks up to a computer and just sends a certain signal to the chip, rewriting the existing information. http://www.moates.net/index.php?cPath=51

I'm sorry if I said something about flashing the whole ECU, but I did ask whether the EPROM can be flashed through the same cable as you would use for datalogging. Referring to a computer's electronics, flashing the onboard memory does not require removing it. The board knows when it receives a certain signal that it will know to rewrite the chip.

I understand that DSMLink is under $600, but it certainly isn't under $400... about the price for a basic laptop! As a return college student (with existing bills) I don't have that kind of money to throw down all at once - hence the topic "budget"

I just keep telling myself that it intensifies the planning, work, and personal satisfaction.

So the final verdict - Can I use a '95 EPROM (with the parameters rewritten) on my '94 GSX?

architechnik said:
I'm sorry if I said something about flashing the whole ECU, but I did ask whether the EPROM can be flashed through the same cable as you would use for datalogging. Referring to a computer's electronics, flashing the onboard memory does not require removing it. The board knows when it receives a certain signal that it will know to rewrite the chip.
The design of the 1G ECU predates the invention of flash memory so the circuit board doesn't support it.

Yeah, I suppose the entire ECU wouldn't have been designed for that type of access.
The EPROM could still be installed with a flash-able chip, correct? Otherwise it would be a matter of getting a specifically designed chip every time I change my setup.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back