The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

Broken Hard Brake Line Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alice

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 7, 2006
Canandaigua, New_York
Last night I had to lock up the brakes to avoid a deer in my 2g AWD. Pedal hit the floor and thankfully, I didn't hit the deer. I found a leak in one the the hard lines up and around the gas tank. Is the best and most reliable way of fixing the line just patching it with the necessary fittings and flaring? Or are there SS/-an lines that go from the proportioning valve to the calipers? maybe I could make the entire line using -an hose and fittings. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Why did it break? If rust was involved, a patch will only find the next weak spot. It may fail in a place where the backstop's not so soft as a deer.... or, a few hundred feet down a canyon.

Thats what I am concerned with. It certainly broke because of rust so I am wondering if there are any options for replacing the entire line with ss line from the proportioning valve to the caliper. Any ideas of such a feat?

To accomplish your goal will require some work on your part. I would not do a SS line to the caliper from the prop valve, but you can do it. You will need to bend new hard lines because they will just be more durable and expand less under pressure.
Here is a website that offers parts for what you need.
High Performance Race Car Stainless Steel Brake Line and Fittings

I'd imagine the only trick to making it all work is to find the correct fittings to make it work. Try to find out the thread pitch of your stock fittings.

I know XRP and Goodridge offer plenty of conversion fittings for OE brake lines. I know Goodridge has a massive catalog full of a ton of fittings, unfortunately Goodridge's site is currently down.
Goodridge_Home

Its no big deal,you will need a piece of 3/16 line can be found at any parts store.it comes in 1 foot 18",36" and 60" you need to know what length you need.You will also need a tube cutter,3/16 coupling,and a flaring tool.Now i do this all the time at our shop,but i would suggest you take it to a shop to have it professionally done if you have no idea how to use the flaring tool and how to join the lines and so on.Then when its all done you need to bleed the brakes.

I have patched a few hard lines before and never had any problems with the patches. With my 2g, however, most of the lines are quite rusty and I feel they will blow again. I think what I might do is completely replace the hard lines under the car with the bend and fit method. Any thoughts about replacing all of the lines with new? I already have the gas tank, exhaust, and drive shaft pulled.

My brake lines blew out on my car this last week and i started looking into replacing my hard brake lines with stainless steel lines. I figured since i plan to keep the car for years to come i might as well do it right the first time. I found a shop called Classic Tube (Classic Tube - PreBent and Custom Stainless and OE Brake Lines and more...). They will custom make original stainless steel lines by reverse engineering your original brake lines. You would have to ship them your brakes lines so they could reproduce them, but would take from 3-4 weeks. I plan to send mine as soon as i have a change to take them off. ( I called and they told me that they don't have the program in their system for 90' GSX, maybe that will change once i send mine in.)

Does anyone have any expereience flaring PVF coated brake line? I am just wondering what the PVF looks like and if it's similar to the OEM coated brake lines or the OEM coated ABS unit lines on a 2g. Is it like a black vynl?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back