The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Breaking In Motor After Rebuild

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitecl96

10+ Year Contributor
Feb 20, 2012
McMinnville, Tennessee
I am just about done rebuilding my car should have the engine in and ready to fire up on Wednesday.
What I am asking is what all do I need to do once it is started to break it in just right.
Read somewhere that I hold it at 2RPM for 5, 10, 15, or 20 mins. Which is it and is that the right RPM for this motor.
How do I need to drive it.
I know I need to Change the oil at 500, 1500, and that ever 3000.
What all do I need to do.

This is a very controversial subject. This is how I broke mine in.

I drove it for a few miles (10 or so) lightly and then I did a 3rd gear pull to 6500 to dial in the injectors. I then drove the car as I planned to drive it on wastegate pressure for a bit. For the first 500 miles I tried to stay in vacuum whenever possibly especially after a pull.

The most important thing is to not run rich. This can and will wash out the texture in your cylinder walls and not allow the rings to completely seat.

Your oil should be changed a lot sooner than that in my opinion. I changed mine at 50, 250, and 500. Then change the oil every 3,000 miles after that. You are breaking in a new motor and the first 50 miles will have a lot of parts wearing into their new homes. You wouldn't want to ride with that for 500 miles.

Again this is a very debatable subject and you will get a million answers. If your motor blows at 20 miles with a properly tuned car then something was not put together correctly.

Note: I was nice and answered your post, but please use proper grammar when posting. Also leave a space between subjects so that it will be easier for others to read. If you make it easy to read, you will get more help. :thumb:

Robert

The 500 miles is what the manual said, but if I need to change it sooner, I will.

Just want to see what most of everyone says and just get ideas.

The 2000rpm for 20 min is an old V8 domestic way to break an engine in, that was to mate the lifter to the camshaft.

That is not the way to do it on a 4g.

Ring seal is the name of the game with a 4g. Look at the "Motorman" break in method.

The 2000rpm for 20 min is an old V8 domestic way to break an engine in, that was to mate the lifter to the camshaft.

Ring seal is the name of the game with a 4g. Look at the "Motorman" break in method.

This is the method that I chose to use as well.

Here is a like to the MOTOMAN BREAK IN.

Then you have THREADS LIKE THIS.

Robert

If im looking correctly says he has n/t=420a... should stay vacuum.

GSTurbo.... yep he should be a 420a engine. I do not wander into 420tech often,

Same thing applies to the 420a.

If he builds postive pressure with out some form of forced induction... he has done something.

But even with the 420a... ring seal method is what is needed, not a cam break in method.

But even with the 420a... ring seal method is what is needed, not a cam break in method.
^^Dis.

I won't tell you how I break mine in (no big secret, just too many assho.....er, opinions about the subject), but what's important is that you are breaking in the compression chamber (ie mating the rings to the cylinder walls). My method is reasonably close to motorman's method.

MB

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back