The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Boost gauge help!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2nd gen GSX

20+ Year Contributor
Oct 6, 2002
Toronto, Ontario_Canada
I have just installed a Stewart warner boost gauge and it is only reading a max of about 5 psi. I made my connection at the intake manifold FPR tap. I also did the BCS restictor free mod so it should be running somewhere around 12-14 psi right? I have checked for leaks and can not find any. Now my question is could the boost hose be restricted some how like a kink or crushed. If not what could be the problem. Thanks for any help in advanced.

If you used that white nylon tubing and it kinked at all and you just straightened it out then you won't get an accurate reading (At least that's what the instructions said).
When the car is off, where does the needle sit on the gauge?

I didnt use the white nylon hose, I used vacuum hose. As for how the car is running its running fine. How do i check for boost leaks?

2nd gen GSX said:
I didnt use the white nylon hose, I used vacuum hose. As for how the car is running its running fine. How do i check for boost leaks?

check VFaq for how to check for boost leak. you say you didn't use the white nylon hose, did it come with one? If so, and you didn't use it...try using it.

<a href=http://www.boostpro.net>Boost Leak Tester<a/> or you could <a href=http://www.vfaq.com/mods/ICtester.html>build<a/> your own...

I checked out the instructions for that particular brand and I'm pretty sure it is meant for you to use the nylon hose (as it seems to connect via ferrule and locking nut). Seeing how you used regular vaccume tubing makes me think that you have a leak at your gauge. Did you 'fasten or tighten' the vacuum hose to the gauge in any way? Can you hear a hiss where your gauge is mounted?

There is no hiss from where the gauge's are mounted. If i was to use the nylon hose, how would i connect it to a boost tee? I couldn't think of a way so i just used vacuum line.

Im not sure but im pretty sure it said 20 hg in. Would that be about right?

yeah mine is 20 at coasting, and 18 at idle, but boosts to 14, so i would look into boost leaks.

Forget the nylon tubing. You did right with vaccume line.

Do a boost leak test. Then post back.

I just finished doing a boost leak test and the results seem that the BOV is leaking. Is the common for stock BOV to leak on the 2G cars? Im lookin at a new BOV. Does anyone suggest one? After i install a new one i will do the test again and hope i will have way better results.

2nd gen GSX said:
I just finished doing a boost leak test and the results seem that the BOV is leaking. Is the common for stock BOV to leak on the 2G cars? Im lookin at a new BOV. Does anyone suggest one? After i install a new one i will do the test again and hope i will have way better results.
A 1g BOV is the most cost effective upgrade for a 2g.

Is there a noticeable difference in the 1G BOV. I have heard it is an upgrade, what is the difference? Thanks

Ok, i have replaced my UICP and BOV. But i am still only getting 5psi of boost. Sometimes it will climb to 9psi. Does anyone know what could be the problem?

2nd gen GSX said:
Ok, i have replaced my UICP and BOV. But i am still only getting 5psi of boost. Sometimes it will climb to 9psi. Does anyone know what could be the problem?
Just because you fixed one leak at the BOV doesn't mean the leak test is complete.

I know. And im goin to do another leak test this weekend. I also noticed that when i took all the stock piping off there was quite a bit of oil in them. That turbo is leaking oil correct? If so how major of a problem is this?

That depends on the amount of oil and whether the breather valve is still re-routed to the intake pipe.

jeff95gst said:
Is there a noticeable difference in the 1G BOV. I have heard it is an upgrade, what is the difference? Thanks
Because the 2G plastic BOV will leak at 12psi where as the 1G is capable of 18-20 psi stock and 22+ psi when modified.

The valve is still routed to the intake yes. Is that a problem? Is a catch can the only solution?

Don't blame the turbo just yet. Take all of the pipes and intercooler out and clean them all. Make sure that the valve cover breather hose isn't going back into the intake. Then test the turbo for shaft play. Drive it around and boost it for about a day and see if oil is in the pipes again, if their is then it's time for a replacement turbo or an upgrade.

I have just finished my second boost leak test and have found that it is now leaking between the TB and the UICP elbow. It is also leaking at the set screw on the TB. How do i fix it so it doesnt leak at the screw or is it suppose to?

2nd gen GSX said:
I have just finished my second boost leak test and have found that it is now leaking between the TB and the UICP elbow. It is also leaking at the set screw on the TB. How do i fix it so it doesnt leak at the screw or is it suppose to?
http://www.vfaq.com/mods/BISS-1G.html There is an o-ring under the screw, easy fix.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back