The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G Boost controller not working

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Breadvans

Proven Member
May 16, 2021
Harrisburg, Oregon
Hey guys, my car has a forge boost controller, the ball and spring kind and it doesn’t appear to be working as intended. I have it on the minimum setting and i will hit fuel cut. I could tune for it with link and I’ve upgraded my fuel enough but trying to start small and work up. I’ve never used boost controllers just gone off wastegate so any advice on if it’s working and it’s minimum is just higher or how to test it would be appreciated

I'm pretty sure if it's at minimum it is completely closed, atleast my Grimspeed is that way. So it should just be spring pressure on your wastegate. If you're running a 16g should be around 18psi. What does your boost gauge say? Does it change when you adjust it?

I'm pretty sure if it's at minimum it is completely closed, atleast my Grimspeed is that way. So it should just be spring pressure on your wastegate. If you're running a 16g should be around 18psi. What does your boost gauge say? Does it change when you adjust it?
I just have the stock 14b turbo. The boost spikes i see it hit 17 when it spikes and before it hits fuel cut

Are you saying it's not working because you hit fuel cut? What does it do exactly?
The minimum is too high i believe. I figured the minimum boost would be 10 but i hit fuel cut and i see it spike at 17 psi

I just have the stock 14b turbo. The boost spikes i see it hit 17 when it spikes and before it hits fuel cut
OK, I saw 16g in your build profile. I'm assuming you didn't have this issue before installing the controller? Like Vegas Smith said, a log would be nice.

The minimum is too high i believe. I figured the minimum boost would be 10 but i hit fuel cut and i see it spike at 17 psi
There is no way to know unless you tell us previous conditions. If it didn't do this before what exactly did you change. It isn't fuel cut. Do you know for sure that's a stock wastegate actuator? If it was running 10psi before you made a change then yes it is. Fill us in on everything that happened.

OK, I saw 16g in your build profile. I'm assuming you didn't have this issue before installing the controller? Like Vegas Smith said, a log would be nice.
Whoops thought i updated my profile. This is a 90 tsi it’s pretty stock except for fuel mods and the boost controller but i bought it with the boost controller on it

There is no way to know unless you tell us previous conditions. If it didn't do this before what exactly did you change. It isn't fuel cut. Do you know for sure that's a stock wastegate actuator? If it was running 10psi before you made a change then yes it is. Fill us in on everything that happened.
I bought it with the boost controller, but it has stock turbo, i installed some fuel mods and got ecmlink. But it was all stock except the boost controller before i had it

Still doesn't answer the question. Did it work correctly ever? Were yiu able to hit lower boost before and now you can't?
Give us the whole story.

If it's a stock b14 with the fuel mods you have in your profile there is no way fuel cut is the issue and something else is the problem. Anecdotally, I ran 20psi on a stock fuel system and never hit fuel cut.

A log is needed at this point. Need to see that injector duty cycle.

Still doesn't answer the question. Did it work correctly ever? Were yiu able to hit lower boost before and now you can't?
Give us the whole story.
No since i bought the car it feels like it hits fuel cut at wot

I’ll try and get a log at some point this weekend. But just to clear up the order here, i bought the car, felt like it was hitting fuel cut, saw the boost gauge spiking. Looked in the engine bay and found the boost controller. Then i started adding mods to help. Swapped over my ecu, then added a Afpr, 750cc injectors, and a walbro 255. Havent took it on a drive since. I’m dialing in the idle before i drive it

No since i bought the car it feels like it hits fuel cut at wot

I'm sorry if this blunt but I still don't think you understand how this works. Fuel cut has nothing to do with fuel.

I would remove the controller completely, hook up a line straight to the actuator and see what it does.
If you've added ecmlink and injectors it should no longer fuel cut as now you've removed the cause of it IF you were fuel cutting in the first place.

What you need to know is
1. Do you have a stock actuator
2. Is the boost controller installed correctly.
3. If both of the above are true are you actually seeing boost creep and do you know what that is and why?

You can test the actuator by itself also and that would tell you what it is. You will need a regulated pressure source with a gauge.

Tell us what you know about the above.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm surprised by people talking about injectors, fuel pumps and fuel cut in 2022.

Fuel Cut is when the ECU sees airflow outside of it's limits and it turns off the injectors (cuts fuel) to protect the engine from damage due to over boosting.

This can happen from turning the boost up too much but is usually caused by boost leaks. You can tell if your problems are from Fuel Cut by logging the car and seeing it the injector pulse width goes to 0 without the IPS switching on.

If it is fuel cut, the value is configurable in DSMLink on the fuel tab.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I haven't been following this part of your saga, have you said what boost pressure you are hitting and exactly how the car is responding?

Did I miss the log file of this occurring?

Excellent point Steve. There is no reason to be discussing fuel cut in 2022. It is extremely well documented. Actually many common things are (hint hint readers).

Try returning the car to stock, or as close to stock as possible with whatever parts you have. Try running the car with NO boost controller installed and only wastegate pressure.

I'm surprised by people talking about injectors, fuel pumps and fuel cut in 2022.

Fuel Cut is when the ECU sees airflow outside of it's limits and it turns off the injectors (cuts fuel) to protect the engine from damage due to over boosting.

This can happen from turning the boost up too much but is usually caused by boost leaks. You can tell if your problems are from Fuel Cut by logging the car and seeing it the injector pulse width goes to 0 without the IPS switching on.

If it is fuel cut, the value is configurable in DSMLink on the fuel tab.

I haven't been following this part of your saga, have you said what boost pressure you are hitting and exactly how the car is responding?

Did I miss the log file of this occurring?
Don’t have a log yet. I’ve seen the gauge hit 17, i haven’t touched those settings. I don’t wanna boost over stock currently until i get all the tuning kinks worked out. I’m just asking if i hit 17 is my boost controller defective? Or are the minimum settings on these higher than the internal wastegate

Don’t have a log yet. I’ve seen the gauge hit 17, i haven’t touched those settings. I don’t wanna boost over stock currently until i get all the tuning kinks worked out. I’m just asking if i hit 17 is my boost controller defective? Or are the minimum settings on these higher than the internal wastegate
The minimum is the spring pressure. We cannot tell you if 17 is your minimum. You need to test the actuator.

And to make sure we are all on the same page you are talking about a Forge UNOS BC and not their Bleeder Valve, right?

This

Not This

And to make sure we are all on the same page you are talking about a Forge UNOS BC and not their Bleeder Valve, right?

This

Not This

Correct. And i didn’t install it so i can’t attest to if it’s installed correctly

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back