The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

bolt-on upgrades

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

*header
There is only one on an inline 4...

If this is your first car, you do not have wrenching experience, and you are broke, do NOT modify what you currently have unless you also have a love affair with public transport.

Modifying a vehicle is not cheap.
Maintenance is not cheap.
There are so many more important things to spend money on in this world than a 420A, especially so if you can't go balls out and do everything at least right with top shelf parts.
The notion that you even suggested an eBay turbo shows you aren't QUITE ready for what lays ahead if you go down this path. But, do not worry, in time you will be. Just enjoy what you have and that you do not have to take the bus everywhere.

What about cams? I know its expensive, but how hard is it to get better cams and install them? also what's the difference between stage 1, 2, and 3 cams?

get a cold air intake, some greddy headers (all the others suck ass), gut your cat, put on a 2.5" straight thru cat back, and a larger throttle body. also cut the shifter down an inch or two.
then start dumping weight. Gut everything behind the front seats, ditch the power steering (it takes like 2 days to get used to the extra effort to turn the wheel), ditch the a/c too if you can live without it, pull the windshield washer fluid res.and what ever else you can.
You could also switch to a non-modular clutch with a light weight flywheel, get a set of light weight rims, , carbon fiber hood.
If you ever have the head off the car, you could get it ported and polished, upgrade the valve springs and upgrade the cams.
Oh and also I couldn't find any racing throttle bodies for the 420a either. Do I have to get one of another car?

*header

Modifying a vehicle is not cheap >> Maintenance is not cheap >>There are so many more important things to spend money on in this world than a 420A, especially so if you can't go balls out and do everything at least right with top shelf parts >> The notion that you even suggested an eBay turbo shows you aren't QUITE ready for what lays ahead if you go down this path. But, do not worry, in time you will be. Just enjoy what you have and that you do not have to take the bus everywhere.

This x100

What about cams? I know its expensive, but how hard is it to get better cams and install them? also what's the difference between stage 1, 2, and 3 cams?

Cams cost more than that header (with valve springs), and are useless without a supporting cast of modifications. Plus, you'll need to pay for a tune (and tuning device) or it will run badly.

Oh and also I couldn't find any racing throttle bodies for the 420a either. Do I have to get one of another car?

60mm
https://www.modernperformance.com/p...neon-engine-throttle-body-and-intake-manifold
https://www.modernperformance.com/p...neon-engine-throttle-body-and-intake-manifold
55mm modded OEM TB
https://www.cimotorsports.net/motor-sport-products/ci-55mm-throttle-body-eclipse-420a.html

http://www.throttlebodys.com/420 TBs.htm
http://www.throttlebodys.com/420 TBs.htm
60 modded jeep TB
http://www.2gnt.com/?d=60mm_Jeep_Throttle_Body

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

if your looking for 420a parts i would check HERE

Even after all this information it is still a bad idea to just jump in. Do not confuse a list of parts as a recipe for performance. It does not work that way. Speaking from 30 years of wrenching you would be better off with suspension modifications to increase the fun Factor on a 420a car. I understand you want more speed. Blindly looking for it is not the way to go. Tell us what your experience is and we could help you a little more. The type of questions you ask suggest you have little experience with cars.

Agreed. Do the maintenance to make it a reliable car without safety issues. If all of your bushings, joints and shocks/struts are working perfectly, get a good set of summer tires and learn to drive it properly in a controlled environment. That is much more fun and rewarding than gaining 10HP.

If you are worried about making your car "faster", you can look at taking weight out of the car. Remove anything that you do not need. It is clear that you are not fully up to speed on the concepts of tuning an engine, which there is nothing wrong with. We all start somewhere. However, seriously take the advice of members on here and just enjoy the car as is until you get more funds or another car to daily.

Even after all this information it is still a bad idea to just jump in. Do not confuse a list of parts as a recipe for performance. It does not work that way. Speaking from 30 years of wrenching you would be better off with suspension modifications to increase the fun Factor on a 420a car. I understand you want more speed. Blindly looking for it is not the way to go. Tell us what your experience is and we could help you a little more. The type of questions you ask suggest you have little experience with cars.
This is my first car. I worked at a mechanics shop for a while a few years back, but other than that I don't have much experience. I know you guys are right. I'm just impatient. Cars have been my life since I was little. Getting this car was like a dream come true. I mean come on, an eclipse? Back in the good ol' days that's the car I always used in underground and underground 2! I guess I'm just kind of disappointed I cant do much to it.

You hit the nail. Impatient. Enjoy the car. I was about 23 or so before I got something nice. Figure out what you want the car to be then come ask more questions. Dont just start asking about parts.

Not to butcher the point more than already has been said, But I understand the feeling. I am 24 now, bought my first car at 19 (2010 impreza outback) had WILD dreams of flipping the bird to the Subaru STI community and building a supercharged monster. Then realized I was staring down the barrel of about $15,000 in parts to get my car anywhere close to a stock STI power level.

Patience is key, and everyone always says it in every car community, don't waste your money trying to turn your car into something it's not. Just wait until you can afford the model you want.

Also there is nothing wrong with mass transit thank you very much :hmm:

Bolt-ons do not add HP......... They merely free up restrictions put into place by the manufacturer...... So sure it feels like it "adds", but in reality you're increasing engine output by making it breath better. On another note, this boost game aint cheap........

Rule #1 NEVER modify your daily........

20+ year old cars, enough said. They dont make 80% of oem parts anymore. To even boost a 420a decently, and maintain a fraction of reliability you have to spend north of $2k....... "Pay to play"

Full cold air kits (the ones that go down to the bumper) usually produce more power, but they're typically more expensive and are susceptible to taking in water and hydro-locking an engine. Keep it stock, man..
That's what happened to me years ago had to rebuild complete engine I'm good with stock air filter since then

Word of advice from a 19 year old who owns two of these moneydumps (so take it whatever you deem it worth). Fast is expensive, and a lot of work (I haven't fully learned my full lesson with this, I'm impatient as well). It's not just as simple as throwing on some headers, cams, and you're good to go.

Take your time with everything. Enjoy the 420a as a daily, save up and in a few years get a GST or GSX. You'll thank all the people who are giving you this advice. Also, turbo cars have much more bang for your buck. Ex: An expensive, good quality manifold will show a lot more differences on a 4g, rather than a similar quality header on a 420a.

Plus getting a GST or GSX and still having the 420a daily will save you when your 4g is down. Let's say you're changing out the clutch and it's taking longer than expected on your GST/GSX, you don't want to rush the job and do it half-ass. Just leave it till the next day and still go to the car meet that night in your 420a eclipse.

Guys, just a reminder that we have a rule against unsolicited "sell it and buy a ___" comments. If the OP is asking about bolt-ons, let's talk about bolt-ons.

Also, I'm kind of surprised that no one mentioned nitrous as a quick, less expensive way to add a little pep.

Can I ask why there is a rule like this in place? There was no trolling going on, everybody was very polite in their comments and just gave honest, sound advice.. You can be partial to the 420a all you want but it doesn't make our advice any less applicable, telling a newbie to waste his money with bolt-on mods and Nitrous is much worse advice IMHO..

Can I ask why there is a rule like this in place? There was no trolling going on, everybody was very polite in their comments and just gave honest, sound advice.. You can be partial to the 420a all you want but it doesn't make our advice any less applicable, telling a newbie to waste his money with bolt-on mods and Nitrous is much worse advice IMHO..
The rule is in place because, historically, we had a lot of 4G63 owners come to this sub-forum and answer nearly any question with "sell it and buy a 4G63". We only allow technical questions in this sub-forum too, so there generally aren't any threads asking questions like "should I keep my RS or buy a GS-T?"

Nonetheless, this isn't the right place for this discussion. Feel free to post a thread with your concerns in the site feedback forum, or PM me.

I do agree with this. We aren't trying to trash 420a but we don't want to see OP spend a bunch of money for minimal gain. If people came in here asking things like "how can I get 2000hp with only bolt-ons and 87 pump gas," we would tell him to ground himself, not tell him how to do it even though it's a recipe for disaster. If we don't tell him, no one will.

To reiterate: OP we are trying to say daily it and enjoy it, don't throw too much money into it trying to make it fast because you might be disappointed with the results (especially if you aren't careful with things like nitrous, definitely a possibility to blow stuff up).

Guys, just a reminder that we have a rule against unsolicited "sell it and buy a ___" comments. If the OP is asking about bolt-ons, let's talk about bolt-ons.

Also, I'm kind of surprised that no one mentioned nitrous as a quick, less expensive way to add a little pep.

I would definitely not recommend nitrous in a DD to somebody asking about bolt-on upgrades to a 420A, which shows no prior research was even done. The OP does not have much experience with cars overall so that is a fast(ish) way to a tragedy given the hazard of driving around a city with a tank of compressed oxygen strapped to your ass.

That isnt even beginning to mention the pure money pit that nitrous is, the eventual damage and increased wear it will do to the motor (especially if target AFR cannot be maintained), spraying off the line back to back, etc etc.

much like those with turbos, you cant assume they will use it "only when needed." we go positive pressure every damn chance we get, so too would one spraying nitrous. basically because without either power adder, our motors are gutless... LOL

I would definitely not recommend nitrous in a DD to somebody asking about bolt-on upgrades to a 420A, which shows no prior research was even done. The OP does not have much experience with cars overall so that is a fast(ish) way to a tragedy given the hazard of driving around a city with a tank of compressed oxygen strapped to your ass.

That isnt even beginning to mention the pure money pit that nitrous is, the eventual damage and increased wear it will do to the motor (especially if target AFR cannot be maintained), spraying off the line back to back, etc etc.

much like those with turbos, you cant assume they will use it "only when needed." we go positive pressure every damn chance we get, so too would one spraying nitrous. basically because without either power adder, our motors are gutless... LOL
To each his own... he asked a question and I answered. I'm not here to offer paternalistic financial advice.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back