The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Resolved Body experts insight

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SNAKE_15

10+ Year Contributor
Aug 28, 2012
Bakersfield, California
Is this normal? Was helping my cousin remove the body panels of his car and we noticed this. Can't tell if this is how the spare wheel well supposed to look like. Should we worry about it?

Attachments

• IMAG2040_1.jpg
    IMAG2040_1.jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 137
  • IMAG2031.jpg
    IMAG2031.jpg
    233.4 KB · Views: 135
Yea someone was in there screwing around. That spare tire area is not structural. You can cut it out and just lay some sheet metal down to cover the hole.

Yea someone was in there screwing around. That spare tire area is not structural. You can cut it out and just lay some sheet metal down to cover the hole.
Is there a way I can fix this while still keeping the spare tire area so we can keep it stock?

Last edited:
Doesn't seem fixable to you?
Anything is fixable. You'd need to cut out the rear end of an undamaged car and replace it correctly. But if you add up the time and cost to fix it correctly, it's going to be cheaper and easier to just find a clean rolling shell.

Anything is fixable. You'd need to cut out the rear end of an undamaged car and replace it correctly. But if you add up the time and cost to fix it correctly, it's going to be cheaper and easier to just find a clean rolling shell
Thanks for the advice. Car has sentimental value to the family so we're gonna sacrifice the time and extra money to fix it properly. Had the car for over three years and located in California so luckily the rust didn't spread. Also, if we wanted to completely remove the wheel, can't we just cut the wheel well out and install the block off sheet metal board from frontlinefabrications and call it a day after welding it of course. My friends dad was gonna paint the car anyways and do any body work it needed.

Attachments

• timthumb.jpg
    timthumb.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 50
Thanks for the advice. Car has sentimental value to the family so we're gonna sacrifice the time and extra money to fix it properly. Had the car for over three years and located in California so luckily the rust didn't spread. Also, if we wanted to completely remove the wheel, can't we just cut the wheel well out and install the block off sheet metal board from frontlinefabrications and call it a day after welding it of course. My friends dad was gonna paint the car anyways and do any body work it needed.

Yes, that is what dsmcrzy said as an option above.

Yes, that is what dsmcrzy said as an option above.
Cool, friends dad gonna still charge us 1500 to paint car and fix the wheel well. Once we save up, I'm gonna have him weld in a clean wheel well and it'll look like nothing happened:hellyeah:

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back