The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Blue smoke maybe oil leak?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FilmerDude

Proven Member
Nov 10, 2014
Temperance, Michigan
Under boost on my old turbo I used to have blue smoke but I have gotten a new turbo but haven't drove it yet. But something curious I have noticed is that the fuel injector area is pretty wet. Took the rail off and it looks to be oil and the injectors have some oil on them and even on the lower portion of them! So I'm thinking valve cover gasket? Looks somewhat wet on the back of it but not an obvious leak. Any ideas?

I would say valve cover gasket, especially if it hasn't been replaced. Wipe down all around the VC really good and run it a bit then check it again. It won't always be an obvious leak but if left alone long enough it can make a huge mess. If you get a new gasket make sure you get a soft rubber or silicone one. The cheap hard rubber ones leak like crazy no matter what you do.

Just make sure not to over tighten the VC, Idk if you've changed a VC gasket yet but our covers are very prone to cracking if you over tighten the center bolts. I always snugg up the outer bolts first, then the inners just tight enough that they don't rattle out. I think the service manual only calls for 2-3ft lbs. I just use a socket with an extension, no handle.

I had this exact set of problems as well. It was indeed the VC leaking. Make sure you tighten all of the bolts in a good order and don't over-tighten.

I agree over tightening the bolt may damage the gasket or even the nut and bolts. Make sure to use a torque wrench just to be sure.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back