The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

blown headgasket?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KeelesKustome

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 29, 2007
Waverly, Tennessee
Okay I'm somewhat at a loss.
My car has randomly started smoking white smoke, sometimes worse than others, but for the most part, it only happens when under full acceleration. I cannot tell if the smell is sweet or burnt, I am a proffessional painter for a living, and it's tainted some of my smelling abilities.
Somtimes it'll smoke while idleing, but for the most part while idleing, if you put a white piece of paper up to the muffler, it will splatter wet black drops all over the paper, and in 30 seconds time, it's covered fairly well. I smeared the splatters and they were not oily at all. This is not condensation, as it does it all the time.

It never overheats,

My coolant is not missing at all. and is still bright green.

My oil has some leaks at the oilpan, but does not require any adding for 3,000 plus miles.

The oil is also nice and brown or even black, depending on the age.

I removed the coolant line from my mhi housing 20g turbo and just recirculated them both to themselves, to see if maybe my turbo had a bad seal, it changed nothing.

The last thing i need to check tomorrow is my compression across the board.
What compression ratios should i expect from a healthy baby, with my setup?

1g big rods, 2g pistons 1g head, unsure of height, but it has a cometic head gasket and arp studs

ok this explains my black suit, considering i have no emissions, or cat on my car with a full 3" exhaust, front to back.
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/newbie-forum/370811-black-soot-exhaust.html
It does not eplain my white smoke that randomly happens at idle and always at wot

I do not have a catch can for my crank case ventaltion, and the tube does have oil in it. Maybe this is causing the smoke?

i had the same problem about a couple weeks ago. i had this black substance on my rear bumper above the exhaust. I was smoking at idle. The longer it sat idling the more it would smoke. i was affraid i blew a head gasket or something. I found out later it was burning oil slowly causing it to smoke, but i didnt think i was low on oil though. Well to make a long story short, i did a blt and i had the worst boost leak at my blow off valve. i changed my bov and no more smoke.

Interesting.
I have a knock off bov hks, it does leak, and so does my tb seal. I also have a real hks ssq and new seals, I have yet to have time to put on.
How would this cause the white smoke though??

I was leaning toward oil from my crankcase hose, but wasn't sure on that either.

I had a friend, video tape me when i left work for lunch, with the turbo coolant lines still looped back into it'sself, and this time the car did not smoke at all.
Possible turbo seals gone bad?
compression test shows.

1. 115
2. 120
3. 125
4. 125

is that in the safe range of normal? They all held that preasure untill i relived it.
I did this on a 200 dgree engine if that matters.

The sparkplugs are bright white and cean.
My mechanic told me with my setup that compression is perfect, and seeing the aprkplugs, their is no blowby at all and looks like it's firing in the perfect heat range.
What do ya'll think.

Last edited:
As for you smoking, it could possibly be your turbo seals but that's a pain in the ass to do though. I first think you should fix that bov and tb seals to see if that rules that out first. I still have a leak at my biss screw and my tb gasket but not enough to make me smoke though. It was just my cheap bov that was making me smoke because it was leaking really bad.

Your compression numbers look good as well. Anything around that range is perfectly fine.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back