The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

blance shaft questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

josh38127

10+ Year Contributor
Oct 2, 2009
Memphis, Tennessee
I was thinking on removing it. Is there any hp to be gained. What are some pros and cons:hmm:

It has minor performance gains, due to the fact that you are removing rotating mass from the bottom end of the engine. You will find that the engine will rev more freely. You will never have to worry about the balance shaft belt breaking and taking out the timing system. On the negative side, you will experience a good deal more vibration transmitted to the chassis. Another point to note is that by removing the balance shafts you are blocking off 2 oil feed ports to the shaft bearings. This will result in increased oil pressure to the rest of the motor. There are many threads for dealing with this problem.

I wouldnt recomend doing this unless you have the motor out of the car... If you do then I say yes go for it, its lessens your chance of something going wrong with the shaft and/ or the shaft belt and ruining your timing belt. Its not something that I would want to take on while still in the car though.

If your car is a daily driver I would recommend against it. I removed the front shaft and machined the rear as I feel a stub shaft would have would not support the side loads of the oil pump as well as two bearings.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

The added vibration has loosened several bolts and cracked my turbo oil feed line. Unfortunately I did mine in the car and had to cut the front shaft to remove it so I can't reinstall them.

Mike

I drive mine daily with stiffer bushings, feels the same, im glad i did it years ago the balance shaft broke. The car was getting a timing belt job,not sure how long it was broke, pulled them out never looked back or regreted it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back