The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

binding?? clunking sound?? is my timing off??

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diamondsm

10+ Year Contributor
Mar 27, 2010
port orchard, Washington
1990 talon tsi awd

new engine everything has been machined just put it in the car and noticed a clunking sound when trying to start i stopped trying to start it to figure it out

.040 bore over
balance eliminator
vacuum eliminate
line honed
completely redone and before putting the engine in it turned over by hand like butter

here is what i have done for diagnostics

i laid under car and put my hand on the t-case were i hear the sound and i can feel the clunk in my drive line and my drive line is not going fully onto my t-case ether the carrier bearings are shot pulling it off..

i then turned the engine over by hand i can get a few rotations but then it starts to bind??after it gets passed the bind its smooth again??

checked my timing and it looks good maybe a half a tooth off if that
could it be my engine or something else?? i tried to take a video but the could only hear the engine turning over the sound is not bad call txt or reply on here thank you 360-640-9653

The binding you describe is most likely not timing. Sounds to me like the engine was not mated properly to the transmission, or flywheel, or flexplate, or something in that area. Or possibly the starter isn't engaging properly.
Also is it an automatic?
But I need more info to help much, did you install the engine yourself(sounds like you did?), or did a shop? Does/did it start at all? Did it run/drive fine when you first got it back, and start doing this shortly after?

My going theory is that you incorrectly installed the engine to an automatic transmission, and did not fully seat the torque converter, when installing an engine to an automatic transmission, the torque converter should be installed to the transmission first, slide it on, and spin it back and forth while pushing gently, until it moves back with a click sound 3x then it is fully seated, then you bolt it to the flexplate. While you can put it on the engine first, it is much more difficult, and much more likely to get screwed up, and I highly recommend against it.

Pull your spark plugs out and see if the solves the "binding" you are describing. It may just be that the motor is building compression and is hard to turn over.

And the clunk, is it a repetative noise as you crank the car? Or does it just happen once, when the starter is engaging the flywheel?

The binding you describe is most likely not timing. Sounds to me like the engine was not mated properly to the transmission, or flywheel, or flexplate, or something in that area. Or possibly the starter isn't engaging properly.
Also is it an automatic?
But I need more info to help much, did you install the engine yourself(sounds like you did?), or did a shop? Does/did it start at all? Did it run/drive fine when you first got it back, and start doing this shortly after?

My going theory is that you incorrectly installed the engine to an automatic transmission, and did not fully seat the torque converter, when installing an engine to an automatic transmission, the torque converter should be installed to the transmission first, slide it on, and spin it back and forth while pushing gently, until it moves back with a click sound 3x then it is fully seated, then you bolt it to the flexplate. While you can put it on the engine first, it is much more difficult, and much more likely to get screwed up, and I highly recommend against it.

yes i built it myself i have built 5 and am currently building 3 right now this being one....so figured this problem out, well kinda?? i re bleed the clutch topped off the gear oil in the t-case and got new carrier bearings because the drive shaft was not fully going on the t-case anyways did all that and no more sound??
want to say it was low t-case fluid

and no its a 5 speed but i know what your talking about on the torque converter and flex plate I've made that mistake ended up stuffing my pump and welding the brand new torque converter i bought to the output shaft on on the trans that was a real pain LOL

and i have not turned the engine over by hand again yet to see if its still binding but im going to in a bit,

i know that a bad CAS or bad ECU can cause no spark and no fuel but got one quick question?? im getting no spark on all 4 cylinders and only getting injector pulse on my number 4 cylinder?? the wires on my cas were broke so i saute-rd them back together could that be my prob?? how do i test the ECU and CAS?

thanks for the reply to

Pull your spark plugs out and see if the solves the "binding" you are describing. It may just be that the motor is building compression and is hard to turn over.

And the clunk, is it a repetative noise as you crank the car? Or does it just happen once, when the starter is engaging the flywheel?

thanks for the reply but i figured it out

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back