The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Big leak coming from the shift levers area.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikyrc

15+ Year Contributor
Nov 18, 2003
Spain, Europe
Hi guys that just started two days ago or so.
Suddently my gearbox started to leak from the shifter levers seal.
I didn't refill or touch anything on the tranny in 6 months so I'm very confused of what the hell happened here.

I attach You some pics just to see it:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Is supposed to leak that much from that place? It does leave oil in the floor, so the leak is pretty big.

That just happened from one day to another. I don't understant what's wrong.

Could be that the gearbox breather got clogged or something?

Please help me, that's my daily driven car and I need it to go to work everyday, so I need to fix that asap!

Yes, completelly shure.
It smells like gear oil and also my coolant is green, pretty notticeable the difference.

I was thinking of the breather not being able to let excess pressure to escape and now the air pressure does escape from the weakest point mixed with oil?

Are you over filled? Pull the fill plug while on a completely level surface if nothing comes out then you have some issue. I've had 2 shep trannies do this, but niether were over filled. Is your tranny original?

Are you over filled? Pull the fill plug while on a completely level surface if nothing comes out then you have some issue. I've had 2 shep trannies do this, but niether were over filled. Is your tranny original?

If I remember correctly When I replaced the fluid (few months ago) I just let the filling hole open 'till stoped dripping, and the car was on level surface.

The tranny is original from a 2G but I rebuilt it two years back (new bearings, new seals minus this levers one wich is a pita to replace, new 2nd gear synchros, fixed central diff, new nuts, new shift forks and new spacers to get correct preload and freeplay)

Did You ever know what happened with Your 2 Shep trannies that did the same?

It seems that stop leaking after cleaning the breather, making the inside hole a bit larger and putting some grease on the levers shaft seal.
I also checked the fluid level and was a tad overfilled, less thann a 1/4 of a glass of water.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back