The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

420A better alternator for 420a?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBlueNinja89

10+ Year Contributor
Feb 11, 2010
Bowling Green, Florida
I was wondering if anyone sells an aftermarket alternator for the 420a motor or if one from another car can be used with a higher amp output. I searched the forums but the only one that seemed to have an answer was for the 4g63 turbos.

I was wondering if anyone sells an aftermarket alternator for the 420a motor or if one from another car can be used with a higher amp output. I searched the forums but the only one that seemed to have an answer was for the 4g63 turbos.
Why do you need a higher capacity alternator? I believe the 420A alternator already outputs more than the 4G63 alternator, and it's definitely less prone to failure due where it's mounted.

I once found a company online that claimed to sell high output versions of the 420A alternator, but I don't remember their name and I have no idea if they're still around. The best alternator I've found is a brand new (not re-manufactured) alternator from NAPA. I think it costs around $225 or $250. If you paid less than $175, you got a re-manufactured alternator.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back