The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Alternator Belt 420a

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

It's pretty easy. Yes you will have to losen the altenator which is easier to get from the bottom, so jack that side up and use a jack stand!! There are two bolts one that swivels and one that is the tensioner. So losen the bottom one and then losen the tension bolt. Altenator should be loose, slip of the old belt and install the new one, tighten the belt using the tensioner belt and then the set screw. Probably say takes 30min tops!

I cannot remember which belt is on the inside and which one is on the outside. If the altenator belt is on the outside dont worry about the powersteering one, if it's on the inside you will have to take the powersteering one of which is basically the same steps as the altenator but it's easier to get from the top

yea my alt belt is inside the p/s ,a/c belt .whats the easiest way to change the a/c , p/s belt?

thanx for the help strapped for cash and dont have a manuel thanx

Ok then you will have to take both belts off. The ps belt you can do from the top just look for the bolt thats is attached to the bracket on your block-losen it, I actually think there is 3-4 bolts you get to them from through the ps pully. Then losen the ps belt tensioner if I remember its a left handed bolt be careful not to break or strip it I had to buy a new tensioner since thats the only way they give you the bolt and it costed $130-00. And use the earlier post for the altenator. It's really easy

You will want to twist the p/s belt a bit to get it past various obstructions. If doing it by your lonesome, keep a long, thin pole near-by to push the belt down between obstacles. I cut a notch into the tip of a 3/8" wooden dowel.

NT FAQ suggestion:
remind people who are searching on this forum, that while it might be more difficult to search on 2gnt.com. The more specific information is plentiful and abundant over there and cannot be ignored.

In this 420a Section of the forum, when a proven members tells someone to search, they mean search around 2gnt.com as well.

I had this same issue when my alternator belt snapped at the track, I logged onto a computer, searched dsmtuners.com, only found stuff on the 4g63, and then went right to 2gnt.com and found exactly what I was looking for, plus guestimated times that other memmbers have done it in.

Then I went right underneath the car with a game plan, in the pit area.

EDIT: SORRY I GOT SIDE TRACKED DURING THIS POST

NT FAQ suggestion:
remind people who are searching on this forum, that while it might be more difficult to search on 2gnt.com.

I had this same issue when my alternator belt snapped at the track, I logged onto a computer, searched dsmtuners.com, only found stuff on the 4g63, and then went right to 2gnt.com and found exactly what I was looking for, plus guestimated times that other memmbers have done it in.

Then I went right underneath the car with a game plan, in the pit area.

Good point.

Anyways it's fairly straightforward. I actually just unbolted the ps pump from the bracket to remove that belt, it's only a couple bolts. And the alternator, once you figure it out is a cinch.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back