The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

Best tires

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lunch_Box

20+ Year Contributor
Mar 14, 2003
Sherwood Park, Alberta_Canada
What are your opions on the best street tires out. I know there is a sticky about this but it is 2 years old and it doesn't cover all brands so what are some of your guys opinions?

well i think the avs 100 yokohama tires are pretty decent, there good on the road and ride really nice and there pretty good priced.

Slipstream said:

What about the Toyo R1? I noticed 3 or 4 cars in the ultimate street car challenge are using them.

I also had these tires in mind:

- Michelin Pilot Sport PS2
- BFGoodrich G Force T/A KD
- Bridgestone Potenza S-03 Pole Position
- Falken FK451

Lunch_Box said:
What about the Toyo R1? I noticed 3 or 4 cars in the ultimate street car challenge are using them.

If you're thinking of the toyo ra1 it's a great tire, but not something i would put on for general street use in spirited driving.
The t1s:
A temp rating
AA traction rating
280 treadwear rating

the ra-1
A temp rating
A traction rating
40 treadwear rating

So the t1-s has better traction in the wet and lasts a hell of a lot longer. The RA-1 would be great to throw on in the summer as long as you don't mind buying rubber every month. I haven't actually used the RA-1 so I can't speak to ride, noise, or performance gains. However, with my t1-s they're quiet, stiff but not obnoxiously so, and seem to be lasting quite well.

What's traction like with the T1's?

Bridgstone Potena SO-3 Pole positions. (In the widest possible tire size. Maybe go for 255/45/16 with offset spacers.)

In tirerack.com's side by side comparison, and they beat out the Goodyear Eagle F1, and Yok AVS Sport.
I've seen the So-3 pushed very hard to the edge, and they were VERY impressive tires.
IMO, the next best thing up, is R-compound.

Lunch_Box said:
What's traction like with the T1's?

I'm quite impressed by the traction, they have continued to impress me under all road conditions with teh exception of snow (not a snow tire so ahh, go fig.) However under wet or dry pavement conditions they have performed exceptionally well for me. They also take abuse well as they were still in perfect condition after an unplanned 360 at 85+ mph (damn nevada's free range cattle). While doing the 360 the feedback from the car and tires told me I could have stopped it at any time..just pick a direction so it was never "out of control" I'll tell you I won'd be throwing any other rubber on my car so long as i can still find these guys.

Im back in the market for tires and would like to hear some more opinions about some. I currently am using the Kumho 712 supras, but im starting to question their durability. I've had 2 in the past year get a lump on the side and I think their wearing a little bit too fast.

let me know what you think

marlon

Falken ST115's are a good balance of treadwear, traction, and comfort. I'm very happy with them.

Bang for the buck, I'd say the Yokohama AVS ES 100's. Treadwear is 280, and the sidewall is a little softer than average. I got mine from www.tires.com 225/50/16 for $327 shipped for all 4.

mc_holla said:
Im back in the market for tires and would like to hear some more opinions about some. I currently am using the Kumho 712 supras, but im starting to question their durability. I've had 2 in the past year get a lump on the side and I think their wearing a little bit too fast.

let me know what you think

marlon

I had one of my 712's blow out due to camber problems. The other 3 lasted a good 6-8 months longer than the one though.. they did seem to wear kinda fast, but they're cheap, so I guess you get what you pay for.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back