The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Tires best for snow.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrPikolo

20+ Year Contributor
Aug 9, 2002
Winterport, Maine
What type of tires are best for snow. I am not to educated on this subject. I think that more tire, less rim, and skinny setup would be wanted. Am I mistaken?

No I am not asking for a brand of any sort, I am asking for demisional setup. Such as the 185/65/r14(I think that whats the 14" rim dsm's have).

"Nokian HAkkapalita Q"
That is the best ice/snow tire to get....At least thats what many many
rallist say..... I just put a set on my 92 talon club rally car and could not belive at how fast the car pulled to 100mph on snow!!! Then again I do have l.s.d's in the front and rear..... But I have run blizzaks (ws-50 and the MZ02) and a few others and the hakkas have the best cornering grip and accel..... I iceraced last year in michigan with blizzaks which worked good but many where runing the hakka studless "Q"

http://www.michiganiceracingassociation.com/

http://www.nokiantires.com/newsite/index.html

Best of luck
Larry

Originally posted by MrPikolo
What type of tires are best for snow. I am not to educated on this subject. I think that more tire, less rim, and skinny setup would be wanted. Am I mistaken?

No I am not asking for a brand of any sort, I am asking for demisional setup. Such as the 185/65/r14(I think that whats the 14" rim dsm's have).

Please note the second paragraph. I am looking for best size, not brand. Though your information is very helpful! Thanks :thumb:

Run something skinny.... with a fair amount of side wall......like a 185 or 175 with a 60-65 aspect ratio..........

Larry

Agreed. 185/65/16 is what I suggest for a 2G AWD.

If you've already switched to 245/40/17 for the summer and like the gear ratio, then 185/60/16 is the same.

The pain is finding cheap steel wheels (at least, right now).

- Jtoby

Originally posted by jtmcinder
Agreed. 185/65/16 is what I suggest for a 2G AWD.

If you've already switched to 245/40/17 for the summer and like the gear ratio, then 185/60/16 is the same.

The pain is finding cheap steel wheels (at least, right now).

- Jtoby

185/65/r16? Would that throw off your speedo a little bit

Originally posted by MrPikolo
185/65/r16? Would that throw off your speedo a little bit

Calculator broken?

215/50/17 = 25.5"

185/65/16 = 25.5"

- Jtoby

No, I was still referring to my stock tire size. Indeed it would throw my speedo off a little, about 1 mph at 60, so nothing big.

205/55/16=24.9"

Thanks for the replys guys.

~John

Apologies.

Because it seems impossible to have threads that are restricted to 1G or 2G, I go ahead and join discussions that were started for either, as long as I have something that might be useful to say. I just try to make sure that I specify in my posts whether I'm talking about DSMs in general or 2Gs in particular. My comment was about 2Gs, which all have 25.5" tires.

- Jtoby

Heh, i figured you were refering to the 2gs. No need to apologize. Being that the two cars are so simular, something minor like that SMALL change in tire size is nothing.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back