The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Bent Valves?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

costas14

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
quincy, Massachusetts
Picking up a 95 with bent valves. Snapped timing belt. They replaced belt and noticed that it had bent valves. I was thinking of getting another head. Ive done a head gasket on my gsx so i figured might as well do heads but i figured it would be cheaper to just do the valves and retainers. Should i worry about anything else being snapped? I have shop access so im all set there. How hard is it to replace valves? Also its been about a year since ive touched a dsm.

When a timing belt goes, some other parts other than just valves may need replaced. Most importantly is the pistons if a valve went through one. If not, make sure you buff out the nicks on the piston tops. Bent valves are no fun trying to remove. Been there, done that. Valve guides usually need replaced also. IMO its much cheaper to find another head in the salvage yard that is in good condition. If you plan on another head, look at the valves to ensure they are not out-of-round (burned valve). Also, you didn't say if the timing components, other than the belt, were replaced. ENSURE all timing parts are replaced. Good luck.

yea the guy just told me when the belt snapped they put a new one on and when they turned it on they realized that it had bent valves. im a bit worried now about the pistons. i didnt think of that. what are the chances?

when the belt snapped they put a new one on and when they turned it on they realized that it had bent valves.

Based on that ^^^, I'd be worried about a lot of things if he did much work on the car. :)

It's an interferrence engine; any time the t-belt breaks, there is a good chance that valves are bent and other damage may have been done as well. Since the head is coming off anyway at this point, you'll know soon enough if you need to add pistons to the shopping list.

he said the shop said low compression in cylinder 2 and 3 and with the noise they figured bent valves

I would also check the cylinder walls too, incase a valve actually broke it could have done some serious damage and in turn could cause low compression.

Imo if you plan on building the car and have the funds i would do cams springs/retainers valve valve guides, minus well get new lifters and upgraded rods and pistons because if the heads off already it would be alot easier. But bare min new valves and guides and pistons depending on condition.

great, i was planning on buying the car since it was completley stock and just either putting a used head on it and drive it. im not at all planning on building it

im going down now to pick it up, one owner 121k adult driven, always maintained except for the fact he failed to do a belt when it hit 120k. even has original radio and leather interior. and wheels. so i have my eyes on a head on ebay.

okay can i put a 1g head on this car? i found a cheap rebuilt one. gaskets etc?

It's different and most people go with the 2g head as an upgrade when running a 1g motor.
Im in the same boat as you. I snapped the tbelt and havent wanted to tear the head off to see the possible carnage. I guess this is gonna be my summer project now... I'm trying to find all the parts to rebuild the head for as cheap as possible. And if I screwed any of the pistons up then it'll be even longer. My belt snapped at around 50k miles of hard driving. I want to tear the oil pan off to check the thrust bearings to see if they are still in spec. If not then i guess i'll be replacing all the bearings not just the thrust bearings. All for the LOVE of DSM's

I found a machine shop nearby. So valves guides and what else for Valvetrain parts would I need

how many bent valves do you have?

if its more than 8 hit ebay and get a set of the Stainless steel valves from Engbldr I have installd alot of them and not had issues.... and you may want the +1mm, they are the same price as the std.

i took out the plugs and noticed a couple things with my snap on camera. pistons are destroyed. so i now need 4 pistons and rings, some rods, i guess valves and valve guides and timing componets.

Pull the head and look at the pistons. Looking in with a scope will not tell you all you need to know. It may look worse than it actually is.

Ive looked into a perfectly good engine with a scope before and got what appeared to be a broken piston. There was nothing wrong but the light from the scope was reflecting off the cylinder wall making things look a bit strange.

Last edited:
pull the head up and get an eyeball on it....

i am tomorrow. i already ordered all the valvetrain parts and timing componets. didnt order any pistons or rods yet but i got a lot of messages on here with from ppl willing to sell used 2g pistons and rods and some evo 8 pistons/rods too

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back